How Does Friction Affect the Motion of a Uniform Rod Released at an Angle?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Telemachus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Movement Plane
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Telemachus
Messages
820
Reaction score
30

Homework Statement


A uniform rod of mass m and length L is released from rest when the angle [tex]\beta[/tex] is 60º. If the friction between the bar and the surface is such that prevent slippage of the same get:
a. The angular acceleration of the bar when set free.
b. The contact force N and friction in A (A is the contact point.)
c. The minimum coefficient of friction to ensure the movement.
attachment.php?attachmentid=32679&stc=1&d=1298949961.png

The Attempt at a Solution


I did as follows:
a.
[tex]I_y=\displaystyle\frac{mL^2}{3}[/tex]

[tex]I_y\alpha=mg \cos \beta[/tex]
[tex]\alpha=\displaystyle\frac{3g\cos\beta}{2L}[/tex]

b. Here arises a force diagram as follows, and is where the doubts appear.

attachment.php?attachmentid=32680&stc=1&d=1298949961.png


[tex]N=mg[/tex]
Then:

[tex]mg \cos \beta \cos 30º-mg \sin \beta\cos 30º-f_r=0[/tex]
[tex]f_r=mg \cos 30º(\cos \beta - \sin \beta)[/tex]
Is this correct?

Greetings and thanks.
 
Attachments
  • 1varillap.PNG
    1varillap.PNG
    380 bytes · Views: 527
  • 2varillap.PNG
    2varillap.PNG
    992 bytes · Views: 492
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think its wrong, and that [tex]N=mg \sin \beta[/tex] but I'm not sure. I did this looking at an example of physics pendulum, analogue to the forces produces over the axis of rotation, but I'm not sure if this is right.
 
Last edited:
Now I did this:

[tex]N_x-mg\cos\beta=m\displaystyle\frac{L}{2}\ddot \theta[/tex]

[tex]N_y-mg\sin\beta=m\displaystyle\frac{L}{2}\dot \theta^2[/tex]

With [tex]\ddot \theta=\alpha\longrightarrow{N_x=\displaystyle\frac{3}{4}mg\cos \beta}[/tex]
Its released from rest, then [tex]\dot \theta=0\longrightarrow{Ny=mg\sin \beta}[/tex]

Then [tex]N=N_x \hat{i}+N_y \hat{j}[/tex]

[tex]|N|=\sqrt[ ]{N_x^2+N_y^2}=\sqrt[ ]{\displaystyle\frac{9}{16}m^2g^2\cos^2\beta+m^2g^2\sin^2\beta}[/tex]

I'm not sure about this neither :P
 
Last edited:
I did the following, I think this a bit better than before, but I still not sure.

[tex]r\alpha=a_{cm}\Rightarrow{a_{cm}=\displaystyle\frac{L}{2} \displaystyle\frac{3g\cos\beta}{2L}}[/tex]

Where we recall that [tex]\alpha=\displaystyle\frac{3g\cos\beta}{2L}[/tex] and [tex]\beta=60º[/tex]

What gives [tex]a_{cm}=\displaystyle\frac{3}{8}g[/tex]

Then: [tex]N-mg=ma_{cm}\longrightarrow{N=\displaystyle\frac{3}{8}mg-mg=-\displaystyle\frac{5}{8}mg}[/tex]

Now what did I do with the friction force was to use the moment equation.

[tex]f_r\cos 30º\displaystyle\frac{L}{2}=I_{cm}\alpha\Rightarrow{f_r=\displaystyle\frac{2I_{cm}\alpha}{L\cos 30º}}=\displaystyle\frac{mg}{4\sqrt[ ]{3}}[/tex]

Anyone?
 
I have realized that what I've done before it's all wrong. Let's see now.

[tex]x_{mc}=\displaystyle\frac{L}{2}\cos \beta[/tex]

[tex]y_{mc}=\displaystyle\frac{L}{2}\sin \beta[/tex]
[tex]\dot y_{mc}=\displaystyle\frac{L}{2}\cos \beta\dot\beta[/tex]
[tex]\ddot y_{mc}=-\displaystyle\frac{L}{2}\sin \beta\dot\beta^2+\displaystyle\frac{L}{2}\cos\beta\ddot\beta[/tex]Then:
[tex]N-mg=ma_{y_{mc}}[/tex]
Then [tex]N=m\left (-\displaystyle\frac{L}{2}\sin \beta\dot\beta^2+\displaystyle\frac{L}{2}\cos\beta\ddot\beta \right) +mg[/tex]

Then the friction force can be obtained from the moment equation respect to the mass center
[tex](f_r\sin\beta+N\cos\beta)\displaystyle\frac{L}{2}=I_{mc}\alpha[/tex]

Is this right? somebody?

Greetings.

*mc refers to the mass center.