Showing the Galois group of Q(⁴√2, i) over Q is isomorphic to D4

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ~Death~
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Stuck Theory
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
~Death~
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
E=Q(4th root of 2, i) and G is the galios group of E over Q

I found the minimal polynomial p(x) of 4th root of 2 over Q and Q(i) to be
x^4-2

I'm trying to show

(1) the galios group H of E over Q(i) is a normal subgroup of G

(2) If K is the galios group of Q(i) over Q show that it is isomorphic to G/H

so I can ultimately show that G is actually D4 (the group of symmetries)

but I'm compeltely stuck
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, what have you done so far? What are the roots of the polynomial [itex]x^4= 2[/itex]? What is G? What is H?

By the way- it is 'Galois theory'. Capital G because it is a person's name and o before i.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Okay, what have you done so far? What are the roots of the polynomial [itex]x^4= 2[/itex]? What is G? What is H?

I found the minimal polynomial of 4th root of 2 over Q and Q(i) to be
x^4-2

and the roots are +/-w, +/-wi where w is the 4th root of 2
 
Additional hint: What is the splitting field of [itex]x^4 - 2[/itex] over Q?

Petek