Galois Theory - Structure Within Aut(K/Q) ....

In summary, the conversation was focused on Example 11.1.10 on page 560 of the book "Abstract Algebra: Structures and Applications" by Stephen Lovett. The questions revolved around understanding the automorphisms of field extensions, specifically in the context of Galois Theory. The first question asked for help in showing that ##\text{Aut} ( K / \mathbb{Q} ( \sqrt[3]{13} ) \ \cong \mathbb{Z}_2##, while the second question asked for clarification on the three options for mapping ##\sqrt[3]{13}## and two options for mapping ##\sqrt{ -3 }##. The conversation also delved into the concept of
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Abstract Algebra: Structures and Applications" by Stephen Lovett ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 8: Galois Theory, Section 1: Automorphisms of Field Extensions ... ...

I need help with Example 11.1.10 on page 560 ... ...Example 11.1.10 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=f28f5a66e1f0eaeb564eb006309f365c.png

My questions regarding the above example are as follows:

Question 1In the above text from Lovett we read the following:

" ... ... It is easy to show that ##\text{Aut} ( K / \mathbb{Q} ( \sqrt[3]{13} ) \ \cong \mathbb{Z}_2## ... ... "Can someone please help me to show that ##\text{Aut} ( K / \mathbb{Q} ( \sqrt[3]{13} ) \ \cong \mathbb{Z}_2## ... ... ?

Question 2In the above text from Lovett we read the following:

" ... ... By Proposition 11.1.4, there are at most three options where to map ##\sqrt[3]{13}## and at most two options where to map ##\sqrt{ -3 }## ... ... "My question is ... what are the three options where to map ##\sqrt[3]{13}## ... surely there is only one option to map ##\sqrt[3]{13}## as the field extension is over ##\mathbb{Q}## and two of the "options" are imaginary or complex numbers ... or is Lovett just relying on "at most" ... why not rule out the complex roots straight away ... similarly I am puzzled about the two options for ##\sqrt{ -3 }## ... I am also puzzled about the role of Proposition 11.1.4 in this matter ... How does Proposition 11.1.4 ensure that there are at most three options where to map ##\sqrt[3]{13}## and at most two options where to map ##\sqrt{ -3 }## ... ... ... can someone please clarify the situation ...The above question refers to Proposition 11.1.4 ... ... so I am providing the text of that proposition ... ... as follows ... ...
?temp_hash=f28f5a66e1f0eaeb564eb006309f365c.png

Help with the above questions will be much appreciated ... ...

Peter
***EDIT***

Just thinking ... since ##K = \mathbb{Q} ( \sqrt[3]{13}, \sqrt{ -3 } )## it already contains a complex number, namely ## \sqrt{ -3 } = \sqrt{ 3 }i## ... maybe that partly explains my questions ... ... and I think it is ##K ##containing the relevant roots, not ##\mathbb{Q}## as I was implying above ...

Attachments

• Lovett - Example 11.1.10  ... ... .png
    Lovett - Example 11.1.10 ... ... .png
    43 KB · Views: 1,198
  • Lovett - Proposition 11.1.4 ... ....png
    Lovett - Proposition 11.1.4 ... ....png
    19.5 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
My questions regarding the above example are as follows:
Question 1
In the above text from Lovett we read the following:
" ... ... It is easy to show that ##\text{Aut} ( K / \mathbb{Q} ( \sqrt[3]{13} ) \ \cong \mathbb{Z}_2## ... ... "Can someone please help me to show that ##\text{Aut} ( K / \mathbb{Q} ( \sqrt[3]{13} ) \ \cong \mathbb{Z}_2## ... ... ?
Let us forget about ##\sqrt[3]{13}## for a moment and note ##\mathbb{Q}[\sqrt[3]{13}] = F##. Then ##K = F[\sqrt{-3}]##.
Which automorphisms ##\operatorname{Aut}(K/F) ## of ##K## that keep ##F## fixed do you have here?
Question 2
In the above text from Lovett we read the following:
" ... ... By Proposition 11.1.4, there are at most three options where to map ##\sqrt[3]{13}## and at most two options where to map ##\sqrt{ -3 }## ... ... "My question is ... what are the three options where to map ##\sqrt[3]{13}## ... surely there is only one option to map ##\sqrt[3]{13}## as the field extension is over ##\mathbb{Q}## and two of the "options" are imaginary or complex numbers ... or is Lovett just relying on "at most" ... why not rule out the complex roots straight away ... similarly I am puzzled about the two options for ##\sqrt{ -3 }## ... I am also puzzled about the role of Proposition 11.1.4 in this matter ... How does Proposition 11.1.4 ensure that there are at most three options where to map ##\sqrt[3]{13}## and at most two options where to map ##\sqrt{ -3 }## ... ... ... can someone please clarify the situation ...
Have you calculated the minimal polynomial of ##\mathbb{Q} \subseteq \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{13},\sqrt{-3})\,##? It has three possible roots, ##\sqrt[3]{13} \, , \, +\sqrt{-3}\, , \,-\sqrt{-3}\,##. It is only one polynomial and all those have to be roots.

Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
Let us forget about ##\sqrt[3]{13}## for a moment and note ##\mathbb{Q}[\sqrt[3]{13}] = F##. Then ##K = F[\sqrt{-3}]##.
Which automorphisms ##\operatorname{Aut}(K/F) ## of ##K## that keep ##F## fixed do you have here?

Have you calculated the minimal polynomial of ##\mathbb{Q} \subseteq \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{13},\sqrt{-3})\,##? It has three possible roots, ##\sqrt[3]{13} \, , \, +\sqrt{-3}\, , \,-\sqrt{-3}\,##. It is only one polynomial and all those have to be roots.
Thanks for the help fresh_42 ... ...

You write:

"Let us forget about ##\sqrt[3]{13}## for a moment and note ##\mathbb{Q}[\sqrt[3]{13}] = F##. Then ##K = F[\sqrt{-3}]##.
Which automorphisms ##\operatorname{Aut}(K/F) ## of ##K## that keep ##F## fixed do you have here?"I think the automorphisms ##\operatorname{Aut}(K/F) ## of ##K## that keep ##F## fixed would be as follows:##\sigma ( \sqrt{ -3} ) = \sqrt{ -3}## ... ... (identity)

and

##\tau ( \sqrt{ -3} ) = - \sqrt{ -3}##Is that correct?
You also write:

"Have you calculated the minimal polynomial of ##\mathbb{Q} \subseteq \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{13},\sqrt{-3})\,##?"

Minimum polynomial is ##m(x) = (x^3 - 13)( x^2 + 3)##

Is that correct?On the question of Lovett taking about the three options to map ##\sqrt[3]{13}## ... ... is it just that he uses the term "at most" ?

Peter

Math Amateur said:
I think the automorphisms ##\operatorname{Aut}(K/F) ## of ##K## that keep ##F## fixed would be as follows:
##\sigma ( \sqrt{ -3} ) = \sqrt{ -3}## ... ... (identity)
and
##\tau ( \sqrt{ -3} ) = - \sqrt{ -3}##
Is that correct?
Yes.
You also write:
"Have you calculated the minimal polynomial of ##\mathbb{Q} \subseteq \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{13},\sqrt{-3})\,##?"
Minimum polynomial is ##m(x) = (x^3 - 13)( x^2 + 3)##
Is that correct?
I think so. In the end we have a tower ##\mathbb{Q} \subseteq \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{-3}) \subseteq \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{-3},\sqrt[3]{13})##, i.e. an extension of degree two and one of degree three or vice versa.
On the question of Lovett taking about the three options to map ##\sqrt[3]{13}## ... ... is it just that he uses the term "at most" ?
I think I was thinking wrongly here. His upper bound of (at most, yes) three comes from the principle possibility to map ## \sqrt[3]{13}## onto itself and the other two (complex) roots of ##x^3 - 13##. I haven't done the math but he mentions that ##\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{-3})## contains the third roots of unity, and thus can be used to create the missing roots of ## x^3-13## if the real one ##\sqrt[3]{13}## is available.

Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
Yes.

I think so. In the end we have a tower ##\mathbb{Q} \subseteq \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{-3}) \subseteq \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{-3},\sqrt[3]{13})##, i.e. an extension of degree two and one of degree three or vice versa.

I think I was thinking wrongly here. His upper bound of (at most, yes) three comes from the principle possibility to map ## \sqrt[3]{13}## onto itself and the other two (complex) roots of ##x^3 - 13##. I haven't done the math but he mentions that ##\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{-3})## contains the third roots of unity, and thus can be used to create the missing roots of ## x^3-13## if the real one ##\sqrt[3]{13}## is available.
Thanks fresh_42 ...

Still reflecting on what you have said and reading and re-reading the example ...

In particular wondering where the mapping ## \sigma ## comes from ...?

Peter

Math Amateur said:
In particular wondering where the mapping σσ \sigma comes from ...?
Good question! As I see it , ##\sigma = \rho##. Haven't even noticed this error.

Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
Good question! As I see it , ##\sigma = \rho##. Haven't even noticed this error.
Yes, agree ...

Thanks again for your help ...

Peter

1. What is Galois Theory and why is it important in mathematics?

Galois Theory is a branch of abstract algebra that studies the symmetries and structures of roots of polynomial equations. It is important in mathematics because it provides a powerful framework for understanding the solutions of polynomial equations and their relationships with each other.

2. What is the structure within the Automorphism Group of a field extension?

The structure within the Automorphism Group of a field extension, denoted as Aut(K/Q), refers to the set of all automorphisms of the field extension K that fix the base field Q. This group has a rich algebraic structure and plays a crucial role in Galois Theory.

3. How does Galois Theory relate to field extensions and roots of polynomial equations?

Galois Theory provides a way to understand the symmetries and structures of roots of polynomial equations by studying the automorphisms of field extensions. It allows us to determine which polynomial equations are solvable by radicals and to classify the different types of roots of a polynomial equation.

4. Can Galois Theory be applied to non-polynomial equations?

Yes, Galois Theory can be applied to non-polynomial equations. It is a general theory that can be used to study the solutions of any algebraic equation, including differential equations and transcendental equations.

5. How does Galois Theory have applications outside of mathematics?

Galois Theory has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It has been used to solve problems in coding theory, cryptography, and error-correcting codes. It also has implications in the study of symmetry in physical systems and in the development of efficient algorithms for solving mathematical equations.