How Does Heat Release Affect Water Temperature in Thermochemical Reactions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Signifier
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Thermochemistry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Signifier
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
I know this is a physics forum, but this problem is mainly physics, and exceedingly simple:

Homework Statement



A certain reaction releases about 90 kJ of heat when stoichiometric amounts of reactants react. If the reaction goes to completion in 100 g of water whose initial temperature is 20 deg C, what is the final temperature of the water?


Homework Equations



q = mc(delta T), I believe, so delta T = q / (mc)

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but if I plug the 400 kJ = 400000 J into q and the 100 g mass into m and 4.184 J / (mol deg C) into c, I get an insane change in temperature around 215 degrees. I am obviously forgetting some step or misunderstanding something... I've always had trouble with thermodynamics stuff like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly should q not be 90kJ. Secondly the units of c that you provide are J/(g K). Other than that your calculations seem fine.