How Does Increasing a Magnetic Field Affect the Speed of a Charged Particle?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hazim
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
hazim
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A positively charged particle moves in a circle of radius R in the plane of the page with velocity v when a magnetic field B is into the page. (a) If the magnetic field is increased, will the speed of the charged particle remain the same increase, or decrease?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I just have a problem which is the direction of the velocity I should take.. this problem is number 13 in this site http://www.wellesley.edu/Physics/phyllisflemingphysics/106_p_induction.html, and it's solution is here http://www.wellesley.edu/Physics/phyllisflemingphysics/106_s_induction.html
I didn't understood how to take the sense of v (clock wise or counterclock wise)...hope someone clarify.thanks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If B is into the page, the velocity must be counterclockwise for the force to be toward the center of the circle (by the right hand rule).