How Does Integrating Modified Newton's Law Lead to the Velocity Formula V(t)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
bhsmith
Messages
37
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Starting from the modified Newton's Law

(dp(rel))/dt=F

with a constant Force F, and assuming that the particle starts with v=0 at time t=0, show that the velocity at time t is given by

V(t)=c [(Ft/mc)/(1+ Ft/mc)]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I know that I can integrate both sides of the equation with respect to time and solve, but I'm stuck on how to start that off. Any help would be appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Integrate, you find p=Ft, substitute p=mv/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2), some arithmetics and you fininshed, your solution is wrong, is valid for v^2
 
I figured that one out too. But that equation for v(t) is stated in the problem. I'm thinking it might be different because it is supposed to be a "modified" Newton's Law for relativity instead of the classical equation P(class)=mv
 
my result is correct for relativity (at least for special as far i know), it is even reported in my textbook