How Does One Find All Solutions to cos²(2x) = 0.36 in the Interval [-π, π]?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lo2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Trig
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
lo2
Messages
54
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Solve this equation:

[itex]cos^2(2x)=0,36[/itex]

For [itex]x \in [-\pi;\pi][/itex]

Homework Equations



-

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]cos^2(2x)=0,36 \Leftrightarrow cos(2x)=\sqrt{0,36} \Leftrightarrow 2x=cos^{-1}(\sqrt{0,36})[/itex]

And then I am not sure exactly how to proceed... When should I put in the [itex]2p \pi[/itex] where [itex]x \in Z[/itex], to get all of the possible solutions?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lo2 said:

Homework Statement



Solve this equation:

[itex]cos^2(2x)=0,36[/itex]

For [itex]x \in [-\pi;\pi][/itex]

Homework Equations



-

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]cos^2(2x)=0,36 \Leftrightarrow cos^2(2x)=\sqrt{0,36} \Leftrightarrow 2x=cos^{-1}(\sqrt{0,36})[/itex]
Not true. cos(2x) can also be negative. In your second equation, you took the square root of the right side, but not the left side.
Also, you should simplify √(.36).

lo2 said:
And then I am not sure exactly how to proceed... When should I put in the [itex]2p \pi[/itex] where [itex]x \in Z[/itex], to get all of the possible solutions?
 
Mark44 said:
Not true. cos(2x) can also be negative. In your second equation, you took the square root of the right side, but not the left side.
Also, you should simplify √(.36).

I corrected the mistake about not taking the square root on either side. So you mean I should put ± in front of the square root?
 
lo2 said:
I corrected the mistake about not taking the square root on either side. So you mean I should put ± in front of the square root?
Yes, use the ± .
 
lo2 said:
When should I put in the [itex]2p \pi[/itex] where [itex]x \in Z[/itex], to get all of the possible solutions?
The domain for x is restricted to [##-\pi, \pi##], so you're going to get only a handful of solutions.
 
Ok I have come up with this solution:

[itex]\frac{cos^{-1}(\pm \sqrt{0,36})}{2}+p\pi[/itex]

Where the solutions are: [itex]cos^{-1}(\sqrt{0,36})-\pi, cos^{-1}(-\sqrt{0,36}), cos^{-1}(\sqrt{0,36}), cos^{-1}(-\sqrt{0,36})+\pi[/itex]

Since the solutions have to be in the interval of -pi to pi.
 
Mark44 said:
Also, you should simplify √(.36).

Why do you keep writing √(.36)? That simplifies to an exact value. What is this value?

lo2 said:
Ok I have come up with this solution:

[itex]\frac{cos^{-1}(\pm \sqrt{0,36})}{2}+p\pi[/itex]

Where the solutions are: [itex]cos^{-1}(\sqrt{0,36})-\pi, cos^{-1}(-\sqrt{0,36}), cos^{-1}(\sqrt{0,36}), cos^{-1}(-\sqrt{0,36})+\pi[/itex]

Since the solutions have to be in the interval of -pi to pi.

I think you would be better off by NOT using cos-1, since that will give you only one value. I would sketch a graph of y = cos(2x) on the interval [##-2\pi, 2\pi##] (since x ##\in## [##-\pi, \pi##]), and identify all of the points at which cos(2x) = ±B, where B is the simplified value of √(.36).

EDIT: Also, your work above suggests that there are four solutions. I get quite a few more than that.
 
Last edited: