How does one finish something you've started ?

• Thread starter marellasunny
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on how to finish a graduate degree in engineering that they had previously taken a break from due to failing coursework and difficulties with professors. They have taken steps to gain practical experience and have been reading additional material to supplement their interests in the subject. They also express concerns about their language abilities and how it may affect their success in the program. The speaker is seeking advice and personal experiences on how to successfully finish something they have started and may not be their best interest. The summary concludes with a suggestion to address any underlying issues that may have caused the break in the first place and to seek assistance in improving communication skills.
marellasunny
How does one "finish something you've started"?

In this case,its a graduate degree that I hated once but have come to the realisation that I need to finish-it to survive.

These are the steps I've taken after I've re-enrolled:

1.Since its a degree in engineering,I've worked in the workshop as a mechanic to gain practical experience.

2.Been reading ample amount of 'extra' material to supplement my interests in the subject. It seems cancer patients read a lot of books and material to suppress their fear of death, I've done the same.

3.Kept myself busy for a year before re-enrolment with a job that pays.

My concerns:

Just before I took the 'sabbatical',I had failed in my course-work and this was the reason I cited for 'taking a break from the degree'. These failures and the fact that the professors/staff weren't very receptive to my subject doubts still plague my mind. I'm afraid this might happen again as I don't speak the best German.

What I would like to hear from you:

Your experiences on 'finishing something you've started' and then realized its not your best interest.

Your advice also of-course.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not at all clear why you took a break from your studies in the first place. You did poorly in your coursework - okay, I can understand that, but that's a symptom, not a disease. Then you say something about the professors not being very receptive to your "subject doubts." I think you need to expand on this a little bit more. Are you saying that there's something in the field that you're challenging? Or that you can't accept?

The reason this is important is that if in coming back to finish this graduate degree you have not identified the underlying cause for why you left in the first place, then you're in a position for history to repeat itself.

Unfortunately realizing the "need" to finish, for whatever reason, is not really going to solve your problem.

If communication is an issue, then you have to work on that. Simply meeting the entry requirements for a program is only a first step. You need to be fluent enough to effectively communicate your ideas. Most universities (in North America anyway, I can't speak for Germany) will have programs set up to assist you - short courses in technical writing, conversational classes... whatever you need. Take advantage of them.

1. How can I stay motivated to finish something I've started?

One way to stay motivated is to break down your task into smaller, more manageable chunks. This will make the overall goal seem less daunting and give you a sense of progress as you complete each smaller task. It can also be helpful to set specific, achievable goals for yourself and reward yourself as you reach them.

2. What can I do if I keep getting distracted while trying to finish something?

Try to eliminate any potential distractions from your environment, such as turning off your phone or finding a quiet workspace. You can also schedule specific times for breaks or allow yourself a certain amount of time for a specific task before taking a break. Additionally, practicing mindfulness and staying focused on the present moment can help reduce distractions.

3. How do I prioritize tasks to ensure I finish them?

Start by making a list of all the tasks you need to complete and organize them based on their importance and urgency. Consider the impact and consequences of not completing each task and prioritize accordingly. You can also try using a productivity method, such as the Eisenhower Matrix, to help you prioritize tasks.

4. What if I don't have enough time to finish something I've started?

If you find that you don't have enough time to complete a task, try breaking it down into smaller tasks and focusing on the most essential parts. You can also try delegating some tasks to others or reevaluating your schedule to see if there are any non-essential activities that can be cut out to make more time.

5. How can I overcome the fear of failure and finish what I've started?

Remember that failure is a natural part of the learning process and can even help you improve in the long run. Instead of focusing on the fear of failure, try to focus on the potential benefits and growth that can come from completing the task. Additionally, setting realistic expectations for yourself and seeking support from others can help alleviate the fear of failure.