How does \sqrt{1+((x^2)/(4-x^2))} simplify to 2 times\sqrt{1/(4-x^2)}?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Waggattack
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
1.I can't figure out how the [tex]\sqrt{1+((x^2)/(4-x^2))}[/tex] simplifies to 2 times[tex]\sqrt{1/(4-x^2)}[/tex]


I have tried rewriting it in different ways, but I can't see how it simplifies. [tex]\sqrt{x^2 + 1/4-x^2}[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing to do is find a common denominator. Then you will be able to zero out some terms. Then, using the property of a square root, the square root of a fraction is the same as the square root of the numerator over the square root of the denominator. This will give you the answer.
 
Waggattack said:
[tex]\sqrt{1+((x^2)/(4-x^2))}[/tex] simplifies to 2 times [tex]\sqrt{1/(4-x^2)}[/tex]

It may help to rewrite these in a form where you don't need the parentheses.

[tex]\sqrt{1+{{x^2}\over{4-x^2}}}[/tex] simplifies to [tex]2\sqrt{{{1}\over{4-x^2}}}[/tex]
Does that make it easier?
 
Last edited:
Hint: 1 in the square root, [tex]1=\frac{4-x^2}{4-x^2}[/tex]
 
In other words, write
[tex]1+\frac{x^2}{4-x^2}[/tex]
as
[tex]\frac{4- x^2}{4- x^2}+ \frac{x^2}{4- x^2}[/tex]
and add the fractions.