How Does Temperature Affect the Movement of Mercury in a Thermometer?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
Kingrly
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


(a) The tube of a mercury thermometer (made of Pyrex glass) has an inside diameter of 0.140 mm. The bulb has a volume of 0.275 cm3. How far will the thread of mercury move when the temperature changes from 10.5 degrees Celsius to 33.0 degrees Celsius?

(b) Determine a formula for the change in length of the mercury column in terms of relevant variables. Ignore tube volume compared to bulb volume.

αPYREX = 3 × 10-6 (Degrees Celsius)-1
βPYREX = 9 × 10-6 (Degrees Celsius)-1
βMERCURY = 180 × 10-6 (Degrees Celsius)-1

Homework Equations


(I) ∆V = β(V0)∆T
(II) ∆L = α(L0)∆T

The Attempt at a Solution


I calculated the change in the volume of the bulb via equation I, but I am unsure where to head from here. Without knowing the height of the mercury within the thermometer (save for the temperature intervals), I am unsure of how to find the change in volume of the tube or the change in volume of the mercury itself. Any hints?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For (b), I was thinking of an equation in the form of:∆L = mα(L0)∆T + nβ(V0)∆TWhere m and n are coefficients to be determined. Is this a valid approach?