How Does Tension Affect the Mass and Velocity of a Guitar String?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
jamielees
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A typical steel B-string in a guitar resonates at its fundamental frequency at 240 Hertz. The length of the string is 0.620 m. What is the wave velocity along the string? Find your answer in m/s.
V=F(2)L
240(2)(.620)= 297.6

so THEN the question asks;

The tension in the above string is 84.0 N. Calculate the mass of a 3 m long piece of the steel string. Find your answer in kilograms.


we know that ; From the velocity of the wave and the tension we can find the mass per unit length. The total mass is the mass per unit length times length.
I think my formulas are confused. or I'm not sure what formula to use?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jamielees said:
we know that ; From the velocity of the wave and the tension we can find the mass per unit length. The total mass is the mass per unit length times length.
I think my formulas are confused. or I'm not sure what formula to use?

What did you learn is the relation between speed, tension and mass of unit length?

ehild