How does the Circadian clock work in insects like...flies?

1. Hey all!

I am having a hard time finding a few specific answers, so thought I would give you biology nutz a question :)

A insect, more specifically, a fly...Can anyone explain the biological/chemical properties of a flies circadian clock? What governs a flies biological clock in terms of its biology ?

Possibly try and answer this based on the knowledge I dont know much about Biology :) and also, in terms of if someone wanted to "adjust or modify" a flies circadian clock.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Pythagorean

Pythagorean 4,596
    Gold Member

Which clock?

4. Dammn :)

I will have to ask the people who said it. They simply said that:

"Deuterium has been shown to slow down the circadian clock (rythm) of flies"

I want to understand the biological mechanics that govern a fly.

5. Monique

Monique 4,700
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's complex, but simply stated it's a feedback loop. There are transcription factors (Clock, cycle) that bind DNA and stimulate the expression of proteins (Period, Timeless), these inhibit the transcription factors (feedback loop).

The accumulation of Period of Timeless marks one period of the clock, the degradation of the proteins the other. Light plays a major role in the degradation of the protein Timeless. More info here: http://www.sdbonline.org/fly/neural/timeless.htm

6. Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?