1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses How much maths in my chemistry course?

1. Apr 21, 2017 #1
    I'm starting a chemistry course in a few months & I'm a little nervous as my math skills aren't that good. Could anyone tell me which type of maths I'll be using in the course based on the modules that I need to complete? I'll like to work on my math skills in advance. Thank you :).

Here's a highlight of the unit modules.

Module 1: Organic Chemistry Bonding and structure identification in organic chemistry; basic organic chemistry with emphasis on functional group chemistry and its relevance to the functional properties of biological molecules - alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, aromatics, alcohols, carboxylic acids and derivatives, amines in the context of carbohydrates, lipids, amino acids and proteins. Stereochemistry is also covered.

Module 2: Spectroscopy, Nuclear chemistry Introduction to spectroscopy for organic systems, especially 1HNM, 13CNMR and mass spectroscopy, and an introduction to nuclear chemistry.

Module 3: Physical chemistry Introduction to spontaneous processes, entropy, free energy and equilibrium and electrochemistry, redox reactions in biological systems, electrochemical cells. Case studies in biological and chemical systems will be used to explain energy transfer and thermodynamics

Module 4: Inorganic Chemistry Chemistry of the elements in groups 15 to 17 with emphasis on the period 2 and 3 elements (carbon and silicon; nitrogen and phosphorus, oxygen and sulphur). Introduction to transition metal coordination chemistry, and applications of a biological and environmental context.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2017 #2
    That depends a lot on the individual instructor and the quantitative nature of the problem solving involved.

I'd ask the prof or look at the assigned problems to get a better idea.

4. Apr 21, 2017 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

About half, to three-fourths the amount that you'd need for Physics. As an example, if you want to understand reaction rates and reaction types really well, you want to be good with partial fraction decompositions and integrals. Basic and intermediate level algebra is essential throughout Chemistry studies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted