How Does the Definition of Arc Length Lead to Its Integral Formula?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
seanc12
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Confirm that th definition of th arc length ds[tex]^{2}[/tex]=dr.dr leads to the formula
L=[tex]\int[/tex][tex]_{C}[/tex][tex]\frac{dr}{dt}[/tex]dt

Homework Equations


[tex]\frac{dr}{dt}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{dz}{dt}[/tex]dt

The Attempt at a Solution


I am really unsure of what to do here. I have tried starting at each of the given equations and trying to meet somewhere in the middle. I won't post all my working becauses most if it is gibberish and I am still trying to get this LaTeX thing to work properly for me. Can someone give me some hints in what I am trying to get here.

the best I've gotten is expanding the dot product to get

ds^2=dx^2+dy^2+dz^2
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Since nothing at all is said about xyz-coordinates in the original problem, I don't see why you are changing to dx, dy, and dz.

(And certainly dr/dt= dx/dt+ dy/dt+ dz/dt is NOT true. What is true is that
[tex]\frac{dr}{dt}= \sqrt{\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{dz}{dt}\right)^2}[/tex])

From [itex]ds^2= dr\cdot\dr[/itex], take the square root of both sides.
 
Hi HallsofIvy, thanks for the reply.
(And certainly dr/dt= dx/dt+ dy/dt+ dz/dt is NOT true
Yes ofcourse, how could i have been so silly :P wasn't paying attention properly thanks for pointing that out.

[tex] \frac{dr}{dt}= \sqrt{\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{dz}{dt}\right)^2}[/tex]
I understand the RHS, but howcome it is = to dr/dt instead of ds/dt?

Also as a note, the C on the integral should be a subscript but it doesn't seem to want to go there
 
seanc12 said:
Also as a note, the C on the integral should be a subscript but it doesn't seem to want to go there

You need to put the entire expression in one set of tex tags, e.g. [tex]\int_a^b dx[/tex] gives:
[tex]\int_a^b dx[/tex]

seanc12 said:
I understand the RHS, but howcome it is = to dr/dt instead of ds/dt?

That's the magnitude of [itex]dr/dt[/itex] in terms of dx,dy,and dz.
 
[tex]\int_C \frac{d <u>r</u>}{dt}dt[/tex]

Thanks,

So from there can i go ahead and substitute the [tex]\frac{d <u>r</u>}{dt}[/tex] back into the integral? or am i missing a few steps? It seems a little easy. Also, where does the C come into it?
 
Last edited:
Also, howcome the underlines don't show up in my LaTeX?