How Does the Derivative Term Arise in the Commutator of Electromagnetic Fields?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
naima
Gold Member
Messages
936
Reaction score
54
I start from these formulas(transverse electric and magnetic fields)
## E_\perp(r) = \Sigma_i i \mathscr E_{\omega_i}\epsilon_i [\alpha_i e^{i k_i . r}- \alpha^\dagger_i e^{-i k_i . r}]##
and
##B(r) = \Sigma_i i(1/c) \mathscr E_{\omega_i}(\kappa_i \times \epsilon_i) [\alpha_i e^{i k_i . r}- \alpha^\dagger_i e^{-i k_i . r}]##
where epsilon is a unit vector orthogonal to ##\kappa_i = k_i/|k_i|##.
The authors compute their commutator and write it as
##[E_{x \perp}(r),B_y(r')] = -i (\hbar/\epsilon_0) \partial_z \delta(r - r')##

I do not see where this ##\partial_z## comes from.
Have you an idea?

Is it related to FT(f'(z)) = i k FT(f(k))
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the solution is closer.
As ##\mathscr(E)_{\omega_i} = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar \omega_i}{2 \epsilon_0 L}}## and ##h \omega_i = |k_i| c##
I get in the commutator a ##-1/ \epsilon_0## and the ##|k_i|## disappears in ##\kappa_i## and i come closer to a "i z FT(f(z)" term.
Help will be appreciated!