Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Quantization of electromagnetic field

1. Apr 22, 2016 #1
    Hello everybody,

It is known that electric field operator is shown as

[itex]\hat{E}(r,t)=-i\sum_{k,\lambda}\sqrt{\frac{\hbar\omega_k}{2\epsilon V}}\left(a(t)^\dagger_{k,\lambda} e^{-ik.r} - a(t)_{k,\lambda} e^{ik.r} \right) \hat{e}_{k,\lambda}[/itex]

But if I need to represent an electrostatic field in a quantized form, how to proceed?

Thank you everybody.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2016 #2
    Please.

4. Apr 23, 2016 #3
    Apparently you have mixed in your expression above the electric field in the quantized and not quantized forms. AFAIK the electric field operator(electrostatic field is not a meaningful distinction here) is: ##E(r)=i\sum_{k,\lambda}\sqrt{\frac{\hbar\omega}{2\epsilon V}}\left(ξ(\lambda)a^{(\lambda)}(k) e^{ik.r} - ξ(\lambda)a^{\dagger(\lambda)}(k) e^{-ik.r} \right) ##

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  5. Apr 25, 2016 #4
    Thank you for your response.
    All of electromagnetic field quantization still really dark for me. I don't even know what question I have to ask. So, static field are not define in quantum field formulation?
    (excuse for my english)

Thanks.
    Konte

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted