Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Quantization of electromagnetic field

1. Apr 22, 2016 #1
    Hello everybody,

It is known that electric field operator is shown as

[itex]\hat{E}(r,t)=-i\sum_{k,\lambda}\sqrt{\frac{\hbar\omega_k}{2\epsilon V}}\left(a(t)^\dagger_{k,\lambda} e^{-ik.r} - a(t)_{k,\lambda} e^{ik.r} \right) \hat{e}_{k,\lambda}[/itex]

But if I need to represent an electrostatic field in a quantized form, how to proceed?

Thank you everybody.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2016 #2
    Please.

4. Apr 23, 2016 #3
    Apparently you have mixed in your expression above the electric field in the quantized and not quantized forms. AFAIK the electric field operator(electrostatic field is not a meaningful distinction here) is: ##E(r)=i\sum_{k,\lambda}\sqrt{\frac{\hbar\omega}{2\epsilon V}}\left(ξ(\lambda)a^{(\lambda)}(k) e^{ik.r} - ξ(\lambda)a^{\dagger(\lambda)}(k) e^{-ik.r} \right) ##

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  5. Apr 25, 2016 #4
    Thank you for your response.
    All of electromagnetic field quantization still really dark for me. I don't even know what question I have to ask. So, static field are not define in quantum field formulation?
    (excuse for my english)

Thanks.
    Konte

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted