Quantization of electromagnetic field

In summary: The speaker also expresses their lack of understanding in electromagnetic field quantization and asks for clarification on the use of static fields in quantum field formulation.
Konte
Hello everybody,

It is known that electric field operator is shown as

[itex]\hat{E}(r,t)=-i\sum_{k,\lambda}\sqrt{\frac{\hbar\omega_k}{2\epsilon V}}\left(a(t)^\dagger_{k,\lambda} e^{-ik.r} - a(t)_{k,\lambda} e^{ik.r} \right) \hat{e}_{k,\lambda}[/itex]

But if I need to represent an electrostatic field in a quantized form, how to proceed?

Thank you everybody.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please.

Apparently you have mixed in your expression above the electric field in the quantized and not quantized forms. AFAIK the electric field operator(electrostatic field is not a meaningful distinction here) is: ##E(r)=i\sum_{k,\lambda}\sqrt{\frac{\hbar\omega}{2\epsilon V}}\left(ξ(\lambda)a^{(\lambda)}(k) e^{ik.r} - ξ(\lambda)a^{\dagger(\lambda)}(k) e^{-ik.r} \right) ##

Last edited:
RockyMarciano said:
Apparently you have mixed in your expression above the electric field in the quantized and not quantized forms. AFAIK the electric field operator(electrostatic field is not a meaningful distinction here) is: ##E(r)=i\sum_{k,\lambda}\sqrt{\frac{\hbar\omega}{2\epsilon V}}\left(ξ(\lambda)a^{(\lambda)}(k) e^{ik.r} - ξ(\lambda)a^{\dagger(\lambda)}(k) e^{-ik.r} \right) ##

Thank you for your response.
All of electromagnetic field quantization still really dark for me. I don't even know what question I have to ask. So, static field are not define in quantum field formulation?
(excuse for my english)

Thanks.
Konte

1. What is quantization of electromagnetic field?

Quantization of electromagnetic field is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that explains the behavior of electromagnetic radiation at the microscopic level. It states that electromagnetic fields are made up of discrete packets of energy, called photons, rather than continuous waves.

2. How does quantization of electromagnetic field relate to classical physics?

In classical physics, electromagnetic fields are described as continuous waves. However, in quantum mechanics, these fields are quantized, meaning they exist in discrete energy levels. This is a major departure from classical physics and allows for a more accurate understanding of the behavior of light and other electromagnetic radiation.

3. What evidence supports the concept of quantization of electromagnetic field?

One of the key pieces of evidence for quantization of electromagnetic field is the photoelectric effect. This phenomenon, where light causes electrons to be emitted from a metal surface, can only be explained by the quantization of light energy into discrete packets. Additionally, observations of the energy levels of atoms and molecules also support the concept of quantization.

4. How does the quantization of electromagnetic field impact our understanding of light?

The quantization of electromagnetic field helps to explain many properties of light that cannot be understood using classical physics. For example, the concept of wave-particle duality, where light behaves as both a wave and a particle, can only be explained through quantization. It also allows for a more accurate understanding of how light interacts with matter, such as in the absorption and emission of photons.

5. What applications does the concept of quantization of electromagnetic field have?

The concept of quantization of electromagnetic field has many practical applications, particularly in the fields of electronics and telecommunications. For example, it is essential for the development of technologies such as lasers, LEDs, and solar cells. It also plays a crucial role in the study of quantum computing and quantum cryptography.