Gauss' Law as a derivative of the electromagnetic field tensor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
mjordan2nd
Messages
173
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Prove [tex]\nabla \bullet E =4 \pi \rho[/tex] from [tex]\partial_{\beta}F^{\alpha \beta}=4 \pi J^{\alpha}[/tex] where [tex]J^{\alpha}=(\rho, J^{1}, J^{2}, J^{3})[/tex].

Homework Equations



We are given that [tex]F_{\alpha \beta}[/tex] is

0~~~~E_x~~~E_y~~~E_z
-E_x~~~0~~~~-B_z~~B_y
-E_y~~B_z~~~~0~~~-B_x
-E_z~~-B_y~~~B_x~~~0

(Sorry, don't know how to do matrices.)

Raising the indices I should get

0~~~-E_x~~-E_y~~-E_z
E_x~~~0~~~~-B_z~~B_y
E_y~~B_z~~~~0~~~-B_x
E_z~~-B_y~~~B_x~~~0

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]\partial_{\beta}F^{\alpha \beta}=4 \pi J^{\alpha}=>-\partial_{i}F^{0i}=\rho=-\partial_{i}E_{i}[/tex]. I don't know why I keep getting that pesky negative sign! Can anyone point me in the right direction?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For whatever reason I can't edit the latex, but it should say it as follows:

(interestingly enough after this post the op corrected itself)

Homework Statement



Prove [tex]\nabla \bullet E =4 \pi \rho[/tex] from [tex]\partial_{\beta}F^{\alpha \beta}=4 \pi J^{\alpha}[/tex] where [tex]J^{\alpha}=(\rho, J^{1}, J^{2}, J^{3})[/tex].

Homework Equations



We are given that [tex]F_{\alpha \beta}[/tex] is

0~~~~E_x~~~E_y~~~E_z
-E_x~~~0~~~~-B_z~~B_y
-E_y~~B_z~~~~0~~~-B_x
-E_z~~-B_y~~~B_x~~~0

(Sorry, don't know how to do matrices.)

Raising the indices I should get

0~~~-E_x~~-E_y~~-E_z
E_x~~~0~~~~-B_z~~B_y
E_y~~B_z~~~~0~~~-B_x
E_z~~-B_y~~~B_x~~~0

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]\partial_{\beta}F^{\alpha \beta}=4 \pi J^{\alpha}=>-\partial_{i}F^{0i}=\rho=-\partial_{i}E^{i}[/tex]. I don't know why I keep getting that pesky negative sign! Can anyone point me in the right direction?
 
Bleh, never mind, I got it. Just got the rows and columns confused somehow... Thanks anyway, sorry for wasting your time.