How does the earth exert gravitational pull on the sun

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of gravitational pull between the Earth and the sun and how it is equal due to Newton's third law. The force between two bodies is determined by the masses of both bodies and the distance between them, while the acceleration due to gravity only depends on the mass of the individual body. The conversation also mentioned the gravitational constant, which is a key factor in calculating the force of gravity.
ASidd

Homework Statement

My physics teacher today said that the Earth exerts the same amount of gravitational pull on sun;as the sun exerts on the earth.
Is this really true?

Homework Equations

There is no equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very confused with this. How can the Earth's gravitational pull equal that of a massive body like the sun?
Can somebody explain this to me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about Newton's third law.

Why don't you work out the 2 forces and compare them?

The forces are equal but acting on different masses.

The force between two bodies is.. GmM/r2

where m and M are the two masses and r the distance between them. Note how the force depends on both masses not just that of one of them.

The acceleration due to gravity is only dependent on the mass of one body..

F = GmMr2
F = mg
so
gm = GmMr2
mass cancels
g = GMr2

So g on the surface of the Earth or sun depends only on the mass of that body not the mass of both.

The acceleration due to gravity on the surface of each is roughly..

Earth = 9.81 m/s2
Sun = 275 m/s2

CWatters said:
The force between two bodies is.. GmM/r2

F = (GmM)/r2
F = mg
so
gm = (GmM)/r2
mass cancels
g = (GM)/r2
A little typo there. And G is gravitational constant.

Oi who's been stealing my / I'm sure they were there earlier :-)

1. How does the mass of the Earth affect its gravitational pull on the sun?

The mass of an object is directly proportional to its gravitational pull. Therefore, the larger the mass of the Earth, the stronger its gravitational pull on the sun.

2. Does the distance between the Earth and the sun affect the strength of the gravitational pull?

Yes, the distance between two objects affects the strength of their gravitational pull. The further apart the objects are, the weaker the gravitational pull between them.

3. How does gravity allow the Earth to orbit around the sun?

Gravity is what keeps the Earth in orbit around the sun. The gravitational force between the two objects is constantly pulling the Earth towards the sun, but the Earth's tangential velocity keeps it in a stable orbit.

4. Why doesn't the sun get pulled towards the Earth's gravitational pull?

The sun does experience a gravitational pull from the Earth, but it is much smaller compared to the sun's own mass. The sun's immense mass and size make it the dominant gravitational force in the solar system.

5. Can the gravitational pull between the Earth and sun change?

Yes, the gravitational pull between the Earth and sun can change if there is a change in the mass or distance of either object. However, these changes are very small and do not significantly affect the overall orbit of the Earth around the sun.