1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does the Electric Potential change when -q goes to -2q?

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Imagine that a particle with positive charge +q is placed on the x axis at x=+a and a particle with negative charge -2q is placed on the x axis at x= -a. Find the potential at all points along the y axis.

2. Relevant equations

delta phi = -E dot dr

3. The attempt at a solution

This isn't a homework problem, it's just a problem in the book i'm working on to get a better understanding of electric potential. I was wondering if someone could explain electric potential to me, and i figured the easiest way would be with a problem. The answer is given in terms of k, q, a, and y.

I know that had the it been -q instead of -2q the answer would be zero, but I am not sure how the physics works when it is -2.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi durhamisnuts! welcome to pf! :wink:

potential is a scalar

(unlike electric field, which is a vector)

ie, it's just a number, it has no direction …

so to get the potential from two or more sources, you find the potential from each, and add them

it's that easy! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook