How does the elimination method work for solving simultaneous equations?

In summary, the elimination method of solving simultaneous equations works by adding or subtracting the equations in order to eliminate a variable and solve for the remaining variable. This is based on the mathematical significance of the equal sign. The substitution method also works by setting the equations equal to each other and finding the intersecting point. The form of equations given in the form ay + bx = c is not necessarily a function.
roger
I need a math guru to explain why and how the elimination method of solving simultaneous equations works ?

why do we add or subtract the two equations ?(I undertand in order to eradicate either term) but I need to know from the basics .

For that matter, how/why does the substitution method work ?

thanks

Roger

Mathematics news on Phys.org
roger said:
I need a math guru to explain why and how the elimination method of solving simultaneous equations works ?

why do we add or subtract the two equations ?(I undertand in order to eradicate either term) but I need to know from the basics .

For that matter, how/why does the substitution method work ?

thanks

Roger

The answer really goes back to the nature of "=". Think of it as weighing things on balance scale. If, when you put A on one side and B on the other, if they balance, then A= B (that is, A and B weigh the same). If you add the same weight on both sides, they still balance. If you take the same weight from both sides, they still balance.

If I know that x+ y= 10 then adding x+ y to one side of any equation is the same as adding "10". In particular, if I also know that x- y= 6, then
adding x+ y to x- y gives me 2x. Adding 10 to 6 gives me 16 and that's STILL the same thing: 2x= 16 so I must have x= 8.

Long, long ago, you learned "if you do the same thing to both sides of an equation, you still have a true equation". It's still true!

roger:
Note that, just as with the scales, a balance can be sustained even if the weight on a single side has changed (as long as the weight on the other side also has changed accordingly).
It is the condition that the weights on BOTH scales are EQUAL which keeps the balance; the particular value of that shared weight has no bearing on the balancing.

HallsofIvy said:
The answer really goes back to the nature of "=". Think of it as weighing things on balance scale. If, when you put A on one side and B on the other, if they balance, then A= B (that is, A and B weigh the same). If you add the same weight on both sides, they still balance. If you take the same weight from both sides, they still balance.

If I know that x+ y= 10 then adding x+ y to one side of any equation is the same as adding "10". In particular, if I also know that x- y= 6, then
adding x+ y to x- y gives me 2x. Adding 10 to 6 gives me 16 and that's STILL the same thing: 2x= 16 so I must have x= 8.

Long, long ago, you learned "if you do the same thing to both sides of an equation, you still have a true equation". It's still true!

What about the fact that the addition of the equation makes the y disappear, is that an optical illusion, or a false alarm ?

roger said:
What about the fact that the addition of the equation makes the y disappear, is that an optical illusion, or a false alarm ?

Nope,it's none of them.It's something natural.Take the system of equations:
[itex] x-y=7;y=3 [/itex].Consider the first equation:[itex] x-y=7 [/itex].Add on both sides "y".U'll get:[itex] x-y+y=7+y [/itex].Reduce "y" in the LHS and you're left with:[itex]x=7+y [/itex].Use the second equation to get:[itex]x=7+3=10 [/itex].
Eliminating variables/unknowns is the purpose of adding/subtracting equations.As Halls said,it is based upon the mathematical significance of the sign "=".

Daniel.

The basics:
To solve equations simultaniously you need to set them equal to each other.

It helped me to think of it graphically.
When you set two equations of 2 lines (y=mx+c) equal to each other you will find the intersecting point (the solution).

why are the equations given in the form ay + bx = c ?

is the form given above strictly a function ?

What I also need an explanation for is :
in dexterciobys example :

y = x-7 and y = 3

Now I set y = x-7 = 3

he said add 7 to both sides , x=10 which is the value for which f(x) is the same .
or the point where they cross,

BUT from the step, where I set the y to equal both x-7 and 3 , to the step where I find out the value of x which gives the same values for f(x) is still not intuitive in my mind.
I need someone to show me step by step ?

thanx

roger

two things that are each equal to something else are equal to each other.
If x-7=y and 3=y, then x-7=3.

Some people like to explain it this way to a class: Y=X-7 = 3
Here, we try to get under that line, and we draw a line +7=+7
Then by adding we get X=3+7 = 10.

Last edited:

Related to How does the elimination method work for solving simultaneous equations?

What is Gaussian Elimination?

Gaussian Elimination is a method used to solve systems of linear equations. It involves systematically eliminating variables from the equations to find the values of the unknown variables.

How does Gaussian Elimination work?

Gaussian Elimination works by using elementary row operations to transform a system of equations into an equivalent system with fewer variables. This process continues until the system is reduced to a form where the variables can be easily solved for.

What are the benefits of using Gaussian Elimination?

Gaussian Elimination is a powerful tool for solving systems of equations because it can handle large systems with many variables. It also provides a systematic approach to solving equations, making it easier to avoid errors.

What are the limitations of Gaussian Elimination?

One limitation of Gaussian Elimination is that it requires the system of equations to be consistent, meaning there is at least one solution. If the system is inconsistent, meaning there is no solution, Gaussian Elimination cannot be used. Additionally, Gaussian Elimination can be computationally intensive for large systems.

How is Gaussian Elimination used in real-world applications?

Gaussian Elimination has many practical applications, such as solving systems of equations in engineering and physics problems, calculating probabilities in statistics, and solving optimization problems in economics. It is also used in computer graphics and image processing to solve linear systems related to transformations and projections.