1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Online tools for Gaussian elimination / LU decomposition ?

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    I can not find any useful online tool that solves you a system of equations using Gaussian elimination and LU decomposition. So just a system like:

-3X+4X+9X+4x=-2
    9X+2X+1X-5X=2

etc. Just about 4 lines.

several lines. So basically an online tool where you can just plug in the -3,4,9,4,-2 etc and it solves it for you. Same with the LU decomposition for systems like this one.

And, does somebody know of a website where Gaussian elimination and LU explained in detail ? I know how to do Gaussian elimination, but I'm used to do it in a different way. Solve the equations for whatever, but I'm talking about just taking the numbers, put them in a matrix and then solve it. I'm not quite sure how that works. LU decomposition is tricky too, imo. Just can't find anything that's useful. I would appreciate any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2011 #2
  4. Oct 14, 2011 #3
    or a python script (with numpy and scipy)...

...or, if you want something on-line, try http://www.sagemath.org/" [Broken]...again, though, you would need to know what functions to call, etc....

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Oct 15, 2011 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Oct 21, 2011 #5
    Thank you guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook