Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Online tools for Gaussian elimination / LU decomposition ?

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    I can not find any useful online tool that solves you a system of equations using Gaussian elimination and LU decomposition. So just a system like:

-3X+4X+9X+4x=-2
    9X+2X+1X-5X=2

etc. Just about 4 lines.

several lines. So basically an online tool where you can just plug in the -3,4,9,4,-2 etc and it solves it for you. Same with the LU decomposition for systems like this one.

And, does somebody know of a website where Gaussian elimination and LU explained in detail ? I know how to do Gaussian elimination, but I'm used to do it in a different way. Solve the equations for whatever, but I'm talking about just taking the numbers, put them in a matrix and then solve it. I'm not quite sure how that works. LU decomposition is tricky too, imo. Just can't find anything that's useful. I would appreciate any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2011 #2
  4. Oct 14, 2011 #3
    or a python script (with numpy and scipy)...

...or, if you want something on-line, try http://www.sagemath.org/" [Broken]...again, though, you would need to know what functions to call, etc....

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Oct 15, 2011 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Oct 21, 2011 #5
    Thank you guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook