How does the Flat Earth Society defy modern day physics?

In summary: If you had a friend who claimed to be able to levitate objects at will, and they claimed to be able to do this by harnessing the power of unicorn farts, you would just laugh. I'm sure you would still be friends with them, but you would think "wow, they're really out of touch with reality." When you get into the details of the Flat-Earth Society's beliefs, it's basically the same thing. So in summary, the Flat Earth Society's beliefs go against all principles of modern day physics and defy all scientific evidence.
deaninator

Homework Statement

Hey guys, I was just wondering how do the beliefs of the Flat Earth Society defy against modern day physics? I'm doing a discussion board post for my physics class. I know they strictly do not believe in gravity but what else do they do against? For example about Newton's Laws, etc.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
deaninator said:
Hey guys, I was just wondering how do the beliefs of the Flat Earth Society defy against modern day physics? I'm doing a discussion board post for my physics class. I know they strictly do not believe in gravity but what else do they do against? For example about Newton's Laws, etc.

In short, everything. THere is an unknown percentage of the Flat-Earth Society who are simply jokesters, having fun being deliberately obtuse in order to get a rise out of people. I had a good friend who is one of these types (another thing he used to do, going on for years, is insist a certain t-shirt he used to wear says one thing ("Bombay Motorcycle Club"), when it clearly is says something else ("Indiana Motorcycle Association"), but I digress...)

You cannot claim to disbelieve gravity and the near-spherical shape of the Earth without throwing all of astrophysics (and therefore physics and therefore all science) into the dumpster.

As you learn more and more science, physics in particular, you find that all things are governed by only a handful of major principles, and the only way things can be the way they are is if all of these principles are "at work" everywhere, and all the time.

Last edited:

1. How does the Flat Earth Society explain gravity on a flat Earth?

The Flat Earth Society believes that gravity is not a force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth, but rather a force that pushes objects towards the ground. They argue that the Earth is constantly accelerating upwards at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared, which creates the illusion of gravity.

2. How do members of the Flat Earth Society explain the curvature of the Earth?

The Flat Earth Society claims that the Earth appears to be curved due to the limitations of human perception. They believe that our eyes and instruments are not accurate enough to detect the true flatness of the Earth, and that the curvature seen in pictures and videos is the result of distortion and manipulation.

3. How does the Flat Earth Society explain the existence of other planets and celestial bodies?

The Flat Earth Society believes that other planets and celestial bodies are either illusions or small, flat discs that are suspended in the sky above the Earth. They reject the idea of a vast, spherical universe and instead believe that the Earth is the only planet that exists.

4. How does the Flat Earth Society explain the phenomenon of seasons?

The Flat Earth Society argues that the seasons are caused by the sun's varying distance from the Earth. They believe that the sun moves in a circular pattern above the Earth, and that its changing distance from different parts of the Earth leads to the changes in temperature and weather patterns that we experience as seasons.

5. How does the Flat Earth Society explain the fact that we can see different constellations in different parts of the world?

The Flat Earth Society believes that the stars and constellations we see in the sky are simply projections or reflections of light from the firmament (a solid dome that they believe surrounds the Earth). They argue that the appearance of different constellations in different parts of the world is due to the curvature of the firmament and the angle at which the light is reflected or projected onto it.