How does the thickness of a beam splitter affect the phase shift produced?

In summary, the phase shift produced by a 50/50 beam splitter with a dielectric mirror on one side does not depend on the thickness of the beam splitter. This is due to the fact that the phase shift introduced by the dimensions of the crystal does not affect the overall phase difference at the output ports. Therefore, the beam splitter can still act as a Hadamard gate in quantum information, even when taking into account the thickness of the plate. Many sources may ignore this factor because it does not affect the functionality of the beam splitter.
confused_man
I'm having trouble understanding the phase shift produced by a beam splitter. I seem to be finding conflicting information.

I'm specifically looking to understand a 50/50 beam splitter where one side has a dielectric mirror, as shown in this figure from wikipedia:
Wavesplitter1.gif

I understand the pi phase shift (due to air/dielectric reflection, where n_air < n_dielectric). Why doesn't the thickness of the beam splitter have any effect? Shouldn't there be an additional phase?

On a related note, I'm trying to see how such a beam splitter would be able to act like a Hadamard gate in quantum information, if the additional phase shift due to the thickness of the plate is included. I've seen many articles/documents say that a beam splitter can implement a Hadamard gate, but this only seems to work if the thickness of the splitter is ignored. What am I missing?

Thank you for any insight.

Attachments

• Wavesplitter1.gif
    Wavesplitter1.gif
    924 bytes · Views: 1,686
Physics news on Phys.org
confused_man said:
I'm having trouble understanding the phase shift produced by a beam splitter. I seem to be finding conflicting information.

I'm specifically looking to understand a 50/50 beam splitter where one side has a dielectric mirror, as shown in this figure from wikipedia:
View attachment 223275

I understand the pi phase shift (due to air/dielectric reflection, where n_air < n_dielectric). Why doesn't the thickness of the beam splitter have any effect? Shouldn't there be an additional phase?

On a related note, I'm trying to see how such a beam splitter would be able to act like a Hadamard gate in quantum information, if the additional phase shift due to the thickness of the plate is included. I've seen many articles/documents say that a beam splitter can implement a Hadamard gate, but this only seems to work if the thickness of the splitter is ignored. What am I missing?

Thank you for any insight.

The phase shift of the reflected beam can be compensated by putting a phase-shifter in the transmtted beam.

To make a Hadamard gate the outputs from the input state |0>|1> must be recombined in a second BS to give (|0>|1>+i|1>|0>)√2

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. What about the phase shift due in the transmitted beam due to the plate thickness? This is the one that I am confused about, as it seems that many sources just ignore the fact that the beam splitter has some finite width, which would introduce some additional phase shift in the transmitted and reflected blue beams. I don't see how you could compensate for this.

confused_man said:
Thank you for the reply. What about the phase shift due in the transmitted beam due to the plate thickness? This is the one that I am confused about, as it seems that many sources just ignore the fact that the beam splitter has some finite width, which would introduce some additional phase shift in the transmitted and reflected blue beams. I don't see how you could compensate for this.
There is another recent post dealing with this but I cannot find it. Try searching posts in the last 3 months.

Most texts do not discuss the phase shift introduced by the dimensions of the crystal because it does not matter. Let us consider all possible phase deviations. Let [itex]\phi_0[/itex] be th einitial phase difference between the red and the blue beam, [itex]\phi[/itex] the phase shift introduced by the beam splitter width from the reflecting surface to the right and [itex]\phi'[/itex] the phase shift due to light going from the lower surface to the reflecting surface.
For the for beams you will find the following phases:
red one from the left to the top: [itex]\phi_0+\pi[/itex]
blue one from bottom to top: [itex]\phi'[/itex]
red one from the left to the right: [itex]\phi_0+\phi[/itex]
blue one from the bottom to the right: [itex]\phi+\phi'[/itex]

Now the first thing that matters is the phase difference at the output ports:
top: [itex]\phi_0+\pi-\phi'[/itex]
right:[itex]\phi_0+\phi-\phi-\phi'=\phi_0-\phi'[/itex]

Now the final quantity of interest is the phase difference of these differences and as you can see, this will always be [itex]\pi[/itex] regardless of how the other parameters are chosen.

Likes Derek P, DrChinese and Mentz114

1. What is a beam splitter phase shift?

A beam splitter phase shift is a phenomenon that occurs when a light beam is split into two or more paths, and each path experiences a different phase shift. This shift can be caused by various factors such as the material of the beam splitter, the angle of incidence, and the wavelength of the light.

2. How does a beam splitter phase shift affect light interference?

A beam splitter phase shift can affect light interference by changing the relative phase difference between the two split beams. This can result in constructive or destructive interference, depending on the specific phase shift and the interference pattern of the light waves.

3. What are some common applications of beam splitter phase shift?

Beam splitter phase shift has various applications in optics and photonics, including interferometry, holography, and spectroscopy. It is also used in devices such as cameras, telescopes, and microscopes to manipulate and control light beams.

4. How is a beam splitter phase shift experimentally measured?

The phase shift caused by a beam splitter can be measured using interferometric techniques, where the split beams are recombined and the resulting interference pattern is observed. By measuring the position of the fringes in the pattern, the phase shift can be calculated.

5. Can the phase shift of a beam splitter be controlled?

Yes, the phase shift of a beam splitter can be controlled by adjusting the properties of the beam splitter material, the angle of incidence, or the wavelength of the light. This allows for precise manipulation of light beams and is crucial in many optical applications.