How does the value of r* affect the ΔG vs r curve for heterogenous nucleation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
muskie25
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A cylindrical pill-like solid cluster of radius r nucleates from the vapor phase on a dislocation that emerges from the substrate. The free-energy change per unit thickness is given by
[tex]\Delta G = \pi r^2 \Delta G_v + 2 \pi r \gamma + A - B lnr[/tex]
Where [tex]A - Blnr[/tex] represents the dislocation energy within the cluster.

a) Sketch ## \Delta G ## vs ## r ##
b) Determine the value of r*
c) Show that when ## | \Delta G_v | B / \pi \gamma^2 > 1/2 ##, ## \Delta G_v ## monotonically decreases with r, and when ## | \Delta G_v | B / \pi \gamma^2 < 1/2 ##, there is a turnaround in the ## \Delta G ## vs ## r ## curve.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


For r*, I got [tex]r* = \frac{-2 \pi \gamma \pm \sqrt{4 \pi^2 \gamma^2 + 8 \pi \Delta G_v B}}{4 \pi \Delta G_v}[/tex]

I don't exactly know how to plot ## \Delta G ## vs ## r ## for this heterogenous nucleation with the natural log function in there. I also don't really understand part c, but I think that's because I have part b wrong. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
muskie25 said:
For r*, I got [tex]r* = \frac{-2 \pi \gamma \pm \sqrt{4 \pi^2 \gamma^2 + 8 \pi \Delta G_v B}}{4 \pi \Delta G_v}[/tex]
It is not clear how you arrived at this. What happened to the ##lnr## from your top equation? How does r* differ from r?

I don't know about the physics in this question, but looking at the maths you can take a factor outside the radical:

[tex]r*=\frac{ -2 \pi \gamma \pm 2\pi\gamma\sqrt{1 + \dfrac{2\Delta G_v B} {\pi\gamma^2}}} {4 \pi \Delta G_v}[/tex]
 
NascentOxygen said:
It is not clear how you arrived at this. What happened to the ##lnr## from your top equation? How does r* differ from r?

I don't know about the physics in this question, but looking at the maths you can take a factor outside the radical:

[tex]r*=\frac{ -2 \pi \gamma \pm 2\pi\gamma\sqrt{1 + \dfrac{2\Delta G_v B} {\pi\gamma^2}}} {4 \pi \Delta G_v}[/tex]

To find the critical radius, you take [tex]\frac{ d\Delta G}{dr} = 0[/tex] and solve for r. The reason that I am concerned is due to the fact other solutions that I have found (homogeneous nucleation) are much more simple.
 
Your first equation shows ΔG in terms of r2 and r. If you differentiate this to find dΔG/dr the result won't contain an r2 term.
 
NascentOxygen said:
Your first equation shows ΔG in terms of r2 and r. If you differentiate this to find dΔG/dr the result won't contain an r2 term.

Right, but I multiplied through by r to get rid of the 1/r that comes from differentiating the ln term.