How Does the Velocity of a Raft Change When Four Men Jump Off Simultaneously?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Akash47
Messages
53
Reaction score
5
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
Suppose four men are on a square shaped raft.All have jumped mutually perpendicularly into the river from the raft at velocity 2m/s at the same time. What will be the velocity of the center of mass of the raft?
The implied assumption is likely that the mass of the four men is same.
I think the conservation of momentum will work here.But I have drew the scenario and got that if I take two perpendicular sides as positive,then the other two sides will be negative.And also I couldn't relate the direction of the velocity of the four men.Please help me out.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of momentum can be applied along each axis separately. So you only need to think about two men at a time.
 
Akash47 said:
What will be the velocity of the center of mass of the raft?

This could be a trick question. Velocity relative to the river or to the land?