Taylor mechanics ch3 problem7 -- Men jumping off of a railcar

In summary, the conversation is about two men of equal mass standing on a stationary railroad flatcar with frictionless wheels and a car of mass m. They run to the other end of the car and jump off simultaneously with the same speed u relative to the car. The solution involves finding the car's speed and using the equations of momentum conservation to solve for u. There is a discrepancy between the solution provided by the person and the one found on a website, and further discussion and clarification is needed to determine the correct solution.
kylinsky

Homework Statement

two man,each of equal mass m,are standing at one end of a stationary railroad flatcar with frictionless wheel and mass mcar.Find the car's speed if the two men run to the other end of the car and jump off simultaneously with the same speed u(relative to the car)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

let vh be the men's speed relative to the ground at the instant they jump off the car.Thus
u= vh+vcar.Since the momentum of the system is conservative,2mvh=mcarvcar

After solving the equations,i got (2mu)/(2m+mcar) ,but i found a different answer from mine on the websitehttp://chriskranenberg.wix.com/taylor-mechanics-solutions.I want to make sure which one is right

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you type out the website solution instead of forcing helpers to go searching for a pdf offsite? It can only be a few characters long. You're asking for help, so make it easier for the helpers to do so.

You posted an identical question by a slightly different name on October 8th:

taylor mechanics chap3,problem 4

and you never followed up the help response (although you did fix the notation/formatting in your post). I'll give the same advice this time: Show your work so that we can help you with that. We won't just select the right answer for you.

gneill said:
Why don't you type out the website solution instead of forcing helpers to go searching for a pdf offsite? It can only be a few characters long. You're asking for help, so make it easier for the helpers to do so.

You posted an identical question by a slightly different name on October 8th:

taylor mechanics chap3,problem 4

and you never followed up the help response (although you did fix the notation/formatting in your post). I'll give the same advice this time: Show your work so that we can help you with that. We won't just select the right answer for you.
i did follow the help response and add the derivation to my solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
kylinsky said:
i did follow the help response and add the derivation to my solution.
Editing your original post to add new material does not ALERT those following the thread. If you want people who are following or contributing to your thread to see new material, add it in a new post. That will send an ALERT to draw their attention to your thread. Otherwise there's no assurance that your material will ever be noticed by others.

Likes berkeman
So getting back to the problem at hand, your work as far as it is described is correct, and I agree with your solution.

I won't comment on work I can't see, and I don't feel the urge to download a pdf from some site to go hunting for this alternate solution somewhere inside it. If you wish to discuss this alternate solution, please present it here in detail, or at least post an excerpted image of the specific content.

1. How does the height of the railcar affect the distance traveled by the men jumping off?

The height of the railcar does not have a significant effect on the distance traveled by the men jumping off. As long as the men have the same initial velocity and takeoff angle, the distance traveled will be determined by the laws of projectile motion, not the height of the railcar.

2. Does the mass of the men jumping off the railcar impact the results?

Yes, the mass of the men will impact the results because it affects their initial velocity and momentum. Heavier men will have a greater initial velocity and momentum, leading to a longer distance traveled.

3. Can the angle at which the men jump off the railcar be changed to increase their distance traveled?

Yes, the angle at which the men jump off can be changed to increase their distance traveled. The optimal angle for the longest distance is 45 degrees, but this can vary depending on factors such as air resistance and initial velocity.

4. How does air resistance affect the results of this problem?

Air resistance will decrease the overall distance traveled by the men as it acts as a force opposing their motion. This force increases with velocity, so the faster the men are moving, the greater the impact of air resistance will be.

5. Are there any other factors that may affect the results of this problem?

Yes, there are other factors that may affect the results, such as the initial velocity of the men, the presence of external forces (such as wind), and the shape and weight distribution of the men's bodies. These factors may impact the accuracy of the calculations and should be taken into consideration when analyzing the results.