How does the wavelength of light affect the radius of a diffraction disc?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
utkarshakash
Gold Member
Messages
852
Reaction score
13

Homework Statement


Visible light passing through a circular hole forms a diffraction disc of radius 0.1mm on a screen. If X-ray is passed through the same set up, what will happen to the radius of diffraction disc?

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm really clueless regarding this question. I tried to find a formula for radius of the disc but I don't think I need any formulas. Can anyone please help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What formula do you have that describes diffraction?
 
utkarshakash said:
. . . I don't think I need any formulas. Can anyone please help?
Without using formulas, you would need to know in general what happens to diffraction and interference patterns when the wavelength is increased or decreased.

So, your textbook or class notes should either have a formula for diffraction, or have a discussion about diffraction that includes how the wavelength affects diffraction.