How does they check the number of atoms in BEC?

• Thread starter Choi Si Youn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms Bec
In summary, the process of counting the number of rubidium-87 atoms involves using a technique called atom counting, which measures the fluorescence emitted from the atoms when illuminated by a laser beam. This technique can accurately count the number of atoms in a sample with an accuracy of up to 1%.
Choi Si Youn
In wikipedia, I read about BEC. so I just wonder in that articles, so I write in this page.
Adopt that article, " They did this by cooling a dilute vapor consisting of approximately
two thousand rubidium-87 atoms to below 170nK using a combination of laser cooling
and magnetic evaporative cooling."

So I just wonder How they check the "two thousand rubidium-87 atoms"?

It's my first time for writing in this forum, so maybe I choose wrong category.

but please, if you understand what I mean, answer under this writing.

Physics news on Phys.org
The number of rubidium-87 atoms can be counted using a technique known as atom counting. This technique involves counting the number of atoms in a sample by measuring the fluorescence emitted from the atoms as they are illuminated by a laser beam. The number of atoms is then calculated by measuring the intensity of the emitted light. This technique can be used to count the number of atoms in a sample with an accuracy of up to 1%.

Hi there! I can provide an explanation for how the number of atoms in a BEC (Bose-Einstein condensate) is checked. The article you mentioned describes a specific method that was used to create a BEC, which is called laser cooling and magnetic evaporative cooling. This method involves using lasers and magnetic fields to cool a vapor of rubidium-87 atoms to extremely low temperatures, below 170nK (or 170 billionths of a degree above absolute zero).

At such low temperatures, the atoms start to behave differently and form a BEC, which is a unique state of matter where all the atoms are in the same quantum state. This state is characterized by a specific number of atoms, which is why it is important to be able to accurately measure the number of atoms in a BEC.

To do this, scientists use a technique called absorption imaging. This involves shining a laser at the BEC and measuring how much light is absorbed by the atoms. Since the number of atoms in the BEC affects the amount of light absorbed, scientists can use this measurement to determine the number of atoms in the BEC.

In the case of the article you mentioned, the researchers were able to create a BEC with approximately two thousand rubidium-87 atoms. This was determined by repeating the absorption imaging process multiple times and taking an average of the results.

I hope this helps to answer your question and provide a better understanding of how the number of atoms in a BEC is checked. Keep exploring and asking questions, that's what science is all about!

1. How is BEC created in the first place?

BEC (Bose-Einstein Condensate) is created by cooling a gas of atoms to extremely low temperatures, typically less than a millionth of a degree above absolute zero. This allows the atoms to lose their individual identities and behave as a single quantum entity.

2. How do scientists count the number of atoms in BEC?

The number of atoms in BEC can be determined by measuring the density of the gas. This can be done using techniques such as absorption imaging, where a laser is shone through the gas and the amount of light absorbed is used to calculate the density.

3. What is the accuracy of the methods used to count atoms in BEC?

The accuracy of counting atoms in BEC depends on the specific technique used. Generally, the accuracy can range from 1-5%, but this can be improved by using more advanced techniques such as atom interferometry.

4. Can scientists count the number of atoms in a BEC in real-time?

Yes, it is possible to continuously monitor the number of atoms in a BEC using techniques such as absorption imaging. This allows scientists to observe changes in the BEC over time, providing valuable insights into its behavior.

5. Is it possible to count individual atoms in a BEC?

Yes, it is possible to count individual atoms in a BEC using techniques such as single atom detection. However, this is a challenging task and requires sophisticated equipment and techniques.