Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Pressure of Bose-Einstein condensate

1. Jun 18, 2017 #1
    I was wondering, if cooled sodium or rubidium atoms behave as bosons, can they also occupy the same space?

I tried to google a bit, but as usual, articles throw letters like ##\beta##, ##s##, ##\lambda##, ##g## around without bothering to at least give them a name so I could search deeper. I hope this question can be answered without me becoming an expert on the subject...o0)
    In particular, what is the maximum density a BEC can have, in theory (with pressure say 1MPa and temperature 0K), and in practice?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2017 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

No. After all, they are still made up of electrons being fermions. So they will behave something like hard-core bosons.

4. Jun 19, 2017 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Atomic BECs are very low density. What is the normal state of alkali atoms at some nK? Solid, of course. So the only way to get a BEC is to work in conditions where the atoms don't simply crystallize as you cool them down, which means that 3-body collisions are to be avoided, which can only be done with dilute gases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted