Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does this formula relate to particle creation?

1. Feb 1, 2013 #1
    Hi,

ΔEΔt ≥[itex]\frac{h}{4\pi}[/itex]

How does this formula relate to particle creation? I understand that it is relevant to the uncertainty principle, but that is essentially all that I am aware of. Does this formula indicate that when a particle with energy 'E' exists for time 't' it then decays?

Thanks,

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Both are related to quantum physics, but I don't see a direct relation between particle creation and this uncertainty relation.
    For short-living particles, the uncertainty relation gives them a natural width in their mass.

4. Feb 1, 2013 #3
    What this formula means is that if a particle only exists for a short time ##\Delta t##, then its energy is necessarily uncertain by an amount ##\Delta E = h / 4 \pi \Delta t##. For example, the mass of the rho meson is nominally 770 MeV. However, the rho meson is extremely short-lived: ##\Delta t \approx 4 \times 10^{-24}## seconds, so we actually observe rho mesons with a range of masses, with the extent of that range being about ##\Delta E = 145## MeV. So it wouldn't be uncommon to observe a rho meson with mass 700 MeV, for instance.

See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/parlif.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook