Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How elementary particles form matter

1. Dec 28, 2017 #1
    Hello,

So i wonder how elementary particles which are said to have no physical extension on a larger scale are able to form what is known to us as matter? Aka stuff with an observable physical extension.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

That elementary particles are point-like does not mean that they cannot interact at a distance. What stops you from smashing your hand through the table is really electromagnetic interactions between the molecules in the table and the molecules in your hand. Just as it is electromagnetic interactions that keep the molecules together. Most of what you experience in everyday life that is not due to gravity is due to electromagnetic interactions.

4. Dec 28, 2017 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

The nucleus and electrons in atoms are not touching - they are about an Angstrom apart.

5. Dec 29, 2017 #4

phinds

Gold Member

To add to what others have already said, 99%+ of what you think of as matter with "observable physical extension." in 3D is actually totally empty space.

6. Dec 30, 2017 #5
    Ok, thanks everyone! Your answers helped me understand how i went about it wrong :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted