How extensive is your To Do list?

• Thread starter Newai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List
In summary: Install new baseboards and trim around the doors and windows.7. Install new windows and doors in the kitchen.8. Complete painting and repair of the front porch.9. Repair and refinish the front door.10. Paint and repair the front porch railing.11. Paint and repair the front door hardware.12. Paint the downstairs bathroom.13. Repair and refinish the front porch steps.14. Repair and refinish the front door spindles.15. Repair and refinish the front porch railings.16. Repair and
Newai
How extensive is your "To Do" list?

I have more items on my list than I could possibly complete in my lifetime, but it's mostly for keeping busy. Prioritised by the more important things to get done, I think a decade or two will see fulfilment.

So I was curious about to what extent everyone here makes plans for the future. Do you even have a To Do list?

My abbreviated list:

• Get my degree (computer programming - with focus in field of AI)
  • Build my body (I want muscle!)
  • Learn six languages (Latin, Irish, Russian, Greek, Spanish, French) - More if I find time
  • Finish writing my book
  • Find a way to make a significant difference in the world

Physics news on Phys.org

I usually have a list of 8-10 things I need to do within the following couple of weeks. Nothing too much further in advance usually.

It's more of a wish list - but then I just do - regardless of a list. So actually, I don't keeps lists - except for all the textbooks I would like to have.

I love lists, I have many as I have a crap memory.

However none as long term as this. In fact none as long term as a month.

- Paint the garage door
- Save for, buy and install an engine for project 911
- Maybe refit the kitchen and tile the downstairs bog

Mine is huge, huge, huge.

• Get my Rescue Diver certification.
  • See Africa.
  • Become proficient in LabView.
  • Continue martial arts training.

It goes on and on...that's what I could come up with on short notice.

Hmm, I really should write it all down. So I'll add this to the list:

• Document my "To Do" list

So little time...

Its amazing how priorities keep re-arranging the order of importance of the short and medium time based list.

lisab said:
Mine is huge, huge, huge.

• Get my Rescue Diver certification.
  • See Africa.
  • Become proficient in LabView.
  • Continue martial arts training.

It goes on and on...that's what I could come up with on short notice.

Hmm, I really should write it all down. So I'll add this to the list:

• Document my "To Do" list

So little time...
Oh cool! What martial arts flavor are you studying?

Newai said:
Oh cool! What martial arts flavor are you studying?

It's a mixed style (which is very common these days) called Aam-ka-jutsu. It's a combination of American karate and Brazilian jiu jitsu, modified for self defense.

lisab said:
It's a mixed style (which is very common these days) called Aam-ka-jutsu. It's a combination of American karate and Brazilian jiu jitsu, modified for self defense.

did you get into it for self defense?

do you hear gunshots at night in your neighborhood?

rewebster said:
did you get into it for self defense?

do you hear gunshots at night in your neighborhood?

No, I never hear gunshots where I live, I'm in a nicely boring suburban neighborhood.

I started training when I was in college, partly for self defense and partly for fitness. I stopped after having a kid, then when that kid was a teenager she wanted to learn self defense. So we started taking classes together...it's great, I love training with my daughter :smile:.

I don't have a to-do list but here's what in my mind:

• swimming
  • martial arts
  • sky diving
  • bungee jumping
  • traveling the world

lisab said:
[*]Become proficient in LabView.

Cool. What for?

ideasrule said:
Cool. What for?

It's used extensively where I work, and also many other places. We use it for data acquisition, storage, generating reports...fairly simple stuff.

One thing this recession has taught me, everyone needs to keep their marketable skills sharp...you never know when you may be out of a job.

Do you use it?

My list:

• Keep up the good work.

After last night's chat, I have one thing on my wishlist...find a WARM island with a nice beach with a tiki bar that serves drinks with little umbrellas and NO cell phone or internet for a vacation with my boyfriend (so work can't follow either of us). :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
After last night's chat, I have one thing on my wishlist...find a WARM island with a nice beach with a tiki bar that serves drinks with little umbrellas and NO cell phone or internet for a vacation with my boyfriend (so work can't follow either of us). :biggrin:

That almost sounds like a vacation, there, MB

A thread about to do lists... :uhh: when did my wife start writing threads here? :confused:

Oh my. What my wife wanted for Christmas this year was 12 projects to add to the unfinished part of last years 12 projects she wanted.

Here's what I can remember of it...

1. Complete the newly enclosed (most of last year's Christmas to do list) porch slate floor (grout and seal).
2. Remove the plumbing fixtures in the powder room.
3. Remove the old tiles from the walls in the powder room.
4. Remove the old vinyl floor tiles in the powder room.
5. Repair the ceiling in the powder room (after a good rain it removed itself already.)
6. Install new wall treatment in powder room.
7. Install slate floor in powder room.
8. Grout and seal new slate tile floor.
9. Install new plumbing fixtures in the powder room.
10. Install slate floor in entry. (including grouting and sealing, what the heck, it's a small area).
11. Clean out kitchen, moving much of it to porch.
12. Repair kitchen ceiling (it also removed itself after a good rain).
13. Remove kitchen carpet.
14. Install new laminate floor in kitchen.
15. Reposition island and cabinets in kitchen.
16. Rent a dumpster so I can clean out enough of the garage to get the doors replaced.
17. Clean out the yard while I have a dumpster on site for the garage.
18. Clean out the basement. (Damn dumpster.)
19. Clean out the frickin' attic. (Kick the dumpster.)

Let's see, did I forget anything? Oh yeah!

20. Learn to play the cello.
21. Finish my play I started, inspired by Hamlet.

1. How many items are on your To Do list?

As a scientist, my To Do list can vary depending on the stage of my research and any upcoming experiments or deadlines. On average, I usually have around 10-15 items on my list at a time.

2. How do you prioritize your To Do list?

I prioritize my To Do list based on the urgency and importance of each task. This helps me make sure that I am focusing on the most critical tasks first and not getting overwhelmed with less important tasks.

3. Do you use any specific tools or techniques to manage your To Do list?

Yes, I use a combination of a physical planner and a digital task management app to keep track of my To Do list. I also use techniques like the Eisenhower Matrix to prioritize my tasks effectively.

4. How often do you update your To Do list?

I update my To Do list on a daily basis. At the end of each day, I review my progress and add any new tasks that have come up. This helps me stay organized and on top of my responsibilities.

5. How do you ensure that you complete all the tasks on your To Do list?

I make sure to set realistic goals and break down larger tasks into smaller, more manageable ones. I also prioritize my tasks and schedule my time efficiently to make sure I have enough time to complete everything on my list. Additionally, I regularly review and adjust my list as needed to stay on track.