How Far Does a Stationary Object Move When Struck by a Moving Object?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter CrazyNeutrino
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
CrazyNeutrino
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
If I throw an object of mass m with a velocity v against another object of mass M and is stationary, how far would the second object move? Can you please show me how I would solve this? Just show me how to derive the distance it travels, algebraicaly.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
well you know about the conservation of momentum, and I assume the floor has friction. Use these ideas to solve how far it goes
 
Yeah using conservation of momentum I can always find the velocity the object will travel but how will I find how far. Ignore friction.
 
You would need to know the amount of friction and coefficient of restitution of the collision.
 
Jeez I didn't think of that. What an idiot I am. Sorry