1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How far does the train travel before the engine is ...

1. Oct 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.
    A model steam train engine has a mass of 2.3 kg is powered by a sterno and white gas mixture that heats a small boiler. Once sufficient steam pressure is produced, the train is released from rest. The train travels along a straight and level track. At any time after release and before it comes to rest, the train’s speed can be expressed by v = 5t + 2t 2 − t 3 .

a) How far does the train travel before the engine is producing maximum force?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've only been thinking on how i can approach this problem and I haven't had any luck. I've tried drawing Free body Diagrams and drawing forces but it's not helping and its because i dont really understand what they are asking for.

Am I looking for a displacement? Now i know the initial position is 0 since it was released from rest.
    Now I am guessing max force is the force needed to get the train moving?
    Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2015 #2
    The v= 5t+2t^2-t^3

4. Oct 4, 2015 #3

Mister T

Science Advisor

Released from rest means the initial velocity is zero.

When the force has its maximum value, what can you say about the acceleration?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted