How Far is the 4th Maximum from the Central Maximum?

• Thread starter 5hassay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maximum
In summary, the distance between the fourth maximum and the central maximum in a double-slit light interference setup is 2 * 10^-2 m, as there are three equal spaces between adjacent nodal lines from the central maximum to the fourth maximum. This is calculated using the formula x_m = (m-1) * (λL/d), where x_m is the distance from the mth maximum to the origin and m is the mth maximum.
5hassay

Homework Statement

How far would the fourth maximum be from the central maximum, provided the distance between maxima is [tex] 6. \times 10^{-3} m [/tex] and this is double-slit light interference?

Homework Equations

See solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

It is known that the central maximum in double-slit light interference is the central bright band on the screen.
Using the notation mth maximum (not mth-order maximum), the central maximum would be the first maximum (m=1) and the fourth maximum (m=4) would be the third maximum away.
It is known that the distance between adjacent nodal lines (minima -- destructive interference) is defined as,
[tex] \Delta x = \frac{\lambda L}{d} [/tex]
This is equal to the distance between adjacent maxima.
So, because there is three equal spaces between adjacent nodal lines from the central maximum to the fourth maximum (using mth maximum notation):
[tex] x_{m} = (m - 1) \Delta x [/tex]
, where, xm is the distance from the mth maximum to the centre, and m is the mth maximum.

Therefore:
[tex] x_{4} = (4 - 1) \times 6. \ast 10^{-3} m [/tex]
[tex] x_{4} = 2. \ast 10^{-2} m [/tex]

I feel like there is some terminology in there this in incorrect, even though I am using what two texts state. Maybe I am getting confused, but I would greatly appreciate to know if I did this correctly with the correct statements and terminology. Similarly, if I did not, I would equally appreciate knowing what I am doing wrong.

Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The central maximum is at x = 0 (origin). If the separation between maxima is λL/d, then the distance between the origin and the 1st maximum will be

x1=1*(λL/d)

The distance between the origin and the 2nd maximum will be

x2=2*(λL/d)

The distance between the origin and the 3rd maximum will be

x3=3*(λL/d)

So ...

Last edited:
kuruman said:
The central maximum is at x = 0 (origin). If the separation between maxima is λL/d, then the distance between the origin and the 1st maximum will be

x1=1*(λL/d)

The distance between the origin and the 2nd maximum will be

x2=2*(λL/d)

The distance between the origin and the 3rd maximum will be

x3=3*(λL/d)

So ...

Okay, I think my confusion is cleared up now. I do believe I understand.

Thank you very much for your time and help!

1. What is the 4th maximum in a diffraction pattern?

The 4th maximum, also known as the fourth order maximum, is a bright spot in a diffraction pattern that appears at the fourth distance from the central maximum.

2. How is the 4th maximum calculated in a diffraction pattern?

The position of the 4th maximum can be calculated using the formula: x = (4λd)/a, where x is the distance from the central maximum, λ is the wavelength of the incident light, d is the distance between the diffraction grating and the screen, and a is the distance between the slits in the diffraction grating.

3. What factors affect the distance of the 4th maximum from the central maximum?

The distance of the 4th maximum from the central maximum is affected by the wavelength of the incident light, the distance between the diffraction grating and the screen, and the distance between the slits in the diffraction grating.

4. Why is the 4th maximum important in a diffraction pattern?

The 4th maximum, along with the other higher order maxima, provides valuable information about the diffraction pattern and can be used to determine the wavelength of the incident light and the spacing between the slits in the diffraction grating.

5. How can the distance of the 4th maximum be measured in a diffraction experiment?

The distance of the 4th maximum can be measured by using a ruler or measuring tool to determine the distance from the central maximum to the 4th maximum on the diffraction pattern. This measurement can then be used in the formula to calculate the wavelength of the incident light or the spacing between the slits in the diffraction grating.