1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the theoretical value of the wavelength for a double slit experiment?

1. Nov 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    m=maximum h=distance on the screen from the center of the pattern to the mth maximum D=distance from the central bright peak to the slits d=distance between two slits
    I have m=1 d(mm)=0.25mm D=2000mm h=0.5mm wavelength= 6.25E-5mm

2. Relevant equations
    So I used this equation to find the experimental wavelength for the first 5 wavelengths
    Wavelength= dh/mD for experimental wavelength

3. The attempt at a solution
    To find the experimental wavelength I took the average of the five wavelengths (other four wavelengths are not shown), but now I am lost in trying to find the theoretical value for the wavelengths. Since we don't have an angle because we traced the interference patterns for a double slit, I couldn't use this equation (wavelength=dsin(theta)/m) for the theoretical wavelength. I am not sure which equation to use to find the theoretical wavelength. Please help I am so confused...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Ronsa, and welcome to PF :)

Glad to help if I can, but you have to help me in getting a clear picture what this is about. The problems statement is sort of mssing: you start with a list of variables.

What have you measured ? h = 0.5 mm from the center of the pattern to the first maximum ? That's quite small, but who knows.

How do you calculate the wavelength ? Visible red is more like ten times longer wavelengths...

Then: "To find the experimental wavelength I took the average of the five wavelengths" Do you have five light sources ?
    What is your definition of experimental wavelength ? and of theoretical wavelength ?

Why do you think you don't have an angle ?
    Can you post a drawing of the setup ? Or find a link that has a clear drawing ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted