How fast is the car moving when

• Thread starter sona1177
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the car has a pebble stuck in its tire tread and is accelerating on a straight road. The net torque on the pebble is 1.368 N-m and its moment of inertia is 8.664 * 10^-5 kg-m^2. To find the pebble's speed when it flies out of the tread, the angle theta must be found using wf^2= wi^2 + 2alpha * theta and v=wr. The pebble will fly out when the centripetal force is greater than the frictional force.
sona1177
A 1.2 g pebble is stuck in a tread of a .76 -m-diameter automobile tire, held in place by static friction that can be at most 3.6 N. The car starts from rest and gradually accelerates on a straight rode . How fast is the car moving when the pebble flies out of the tire tread?

Alpha= net Torque/moment of Inertia

So net torque is 3.6 * .38= 1.368 N-m. Moment of inertia is .5mr^2 so that's .5 * .0012 * .38 ^2= 8.664 * 10^-5. so 1.368 N-m/ (8.664 kg-m^2)= 15789 rad/s^2. Now I need to find Theta and then use wf^2= wi^2 + 2alpha * theta. Then use v=wr. But how do I find theta when I don't know the distance is has traveled around the circle. Is it 2pi*r? I am having trouble because how do I know how Many times this pebble went around the circle? I can't find theta if I don't know the full distance is traveled around the circle since theta= s/r where s is the distance the particle goes on it's circular path. How do I find theta?

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as the frictional force is greater than the centripetal force on the pebble, the pebble will stay in the tire thread. When the centripetal force is greater than the frictional force, the pebble will fly off.

1. How do you calculate the speed of a car?

The speed of a car can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for speed is: speed = distance / time.

2. What units are used to measure the speed of a car?

The most common unit used to measure the speed of a car is miles per hour (mph) in the United States and kilometers per hour (km/h) in most other countries. Other units that can be used include feet per second (ft/s) and meters per second (m/s).

3. Can the speed of a car change?

Yes, the speed of a car can change. Cars can accelerate or decelerate depending on the amount of force applied to the gas or brake pedals. Factors such as friction, air resistance, and the weight of the car can also affect the speed of a car.

4. How is the speed of a car different from its velocity?

The speed of a car is the measure of how fast it is moving, while velocity is the measure of how fast it is moving in a specific direction. Velocity takes into account both speed and direction, while speed only measures how fast an object is moving.

5. Is the speed of a car affected by its size?

Yes, the size of a car can affect its speed. Larger and heavier cars may require more force to accelerate, while smaller and lighter cars may be able to accelerate more quickly. Additionally, the shape and aerodynamics of a car can also impact its speed.