How Fast Must a Pion Travel to Cover 9 Meters Before Decaying?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Herjo345
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
How fast must a pion be moving, on average, to travel 9.0 m before it decays? The average lifetime, at rest, is 2.60 ✕ 10-8 s. (Answer in terms of c)

I'm not exactly sure what equations I have to use but I believe it relates to time dilation.


I originally didn't realize it was a time dilation problem and calculated that the speed would be .8666c but since it relates to time dilation I am not sure how to go about solving it.

Thank you for your help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Herjo345 said:
How fast must a pion be moving, on average, to travel 9.0 m before it decays? The average lifetime, at rest, is 2.60 ✕ 10-8 s. (Answer in terms of c)

I'm not exactly sure what equations I have to use but I believe it relates to time dilation.I originally didn't realize it was a time dilation problem and calculated that the speed would be .8666c but since it relates to time dilation I am not sure how to go about solving it.

Thank you for your help.
You have a bit of algebra ahead of you. But let's just set up the equations first.

If [itex]\tau[/itex] is the time it takes the pion to decay in it's own frame of reference ([itex]\tau[/itex] = 2.60 × 10-8 s), what is t, the amount of time it takes to decay in your stationary frame of reference?

(you can answer this intermediate result in terms of c and v; or in terms of [itex]\gamma[/itex], your pick for now :wink:).
 
I could use the equation (ΔT/Δt)=√(1-(v/c)^2) but I'm still a little unsure on the reference frames. Is the first reference from from the pion and the second from a stationary observer?