1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pion Decay and Relativity Question

1. Jul 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    42. If a charged pion that decays in 10−8 second in its own rest frame is to travel 30
    m in the laboratory before decaying, the pion’s speed must be most nearly
    (A) 0.43 × 108 m/s
    (B) 2.84 × 108 m/s
    (C) 2.90 × 108 m/s
    (D) 2.98 × 108 m/s
    (E) 3.00 × 108 m/s

2. Relevant equations
    Time dilation and length contraction formula? They are not given though..

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to use the time dilation formula and I think that for the observer (me), the time I think the pion is experiencing should be 8.6*10^-8s and when i use this to find the speed, which is 30/t, where t is the dilated time, i get a speed more than the speed of light which is false! I am stuck at this lol. Have I used any wrong formula to calculate the speed? (That is, for relativistic speeds, I shouldn't use 30/t?) If so, which equation should I use? Thanks! I hope you can help me with this question as I would be attending a local junior olympiad soon, I am in year 10 now.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2012 #2
    By the way, the answer is D but I don't know why. Please enlighten me! Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook