How Fast Was the Stone Thrown If It Hits the Ground at 45 Degrees?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bengt2665
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    2d Motion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
bengt2665
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
1. A stone is thrown horizontally from the top of a 20 m high tower. It strikes the ground at an angle of 45 degrees. With what speed was it thrown?


I'm having trouble with this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I have:

I know that Vox = Vo cos 45 and that Voy = Vo sin 45.
Given this, we know that cos 45 = sin 45 so Voy = Vox.

I think the trick here is to calculate Vox with what we have (the height of 20m) to obtain Voy but I can't seem to move on from there.

Other stuff I can think of that might help but I can't seem to connect with the problem:
the force of gravity in the y direction, the equation Xf = Xo + Vo(t) + 1/2at^2.

Many thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In projectile motion Vox remains the same throughout.
You can fing Vy by using Vy^2 = Voy^2 + 2gh
When it strikes the ground at an angle of 45 degrees, Vy = Vox