How Long to Reach Maximum Height in Projectile Motion?

In summary: Remember to always check your units and make sure they are consistent. In this case, the units for velocity were in m/s and time was in seconds. So your final answer should be in seconds as well. Therefore, the answer 2.4 s is correct. In summary, we used the equations of motion in the y-axis to solve for the time needed to reach the maximum height of a ball kicked with an initial velocity of 40 m/s at an angle of 37 degrees above the horizontal. We obtained two equations and used one of them to solve for the time, which was found to be 2.4 seconds.
RuthlessTB

Homework Statement

A ball is kicked with initial velocity 40 m/s at an angle of 37 degree above the horizontal. What is the time (in seconds) needed to reach the maximum height?

Homework Equations

Y-axis
h= Voy t - 0.5 g t^2
Vy= Voy - g t
Vy^2= Voy^2 - 2 g h

X-axis
d= Vox t
Vx= Vox

The Attempt at a Solution

I reached to a point where I couldn't figure out a way to continue..

I used this equation
h= Voy t - 0.5 g t^2
h= (40 sin(37)) t - 5 t^2

I have 2 unknowns..
I tried to use Vy=Voy - g t
to find the time, I got so far these 2 equations
0=(40 sin(37)) - 10 t

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
RuthlessTB said:

Homework Statement

I tried to use Vy=Voy - g t
to find the time, I got so far these 2 equations
0=(40 sin(37)) - 10 t
Is this right?
Yes, you can use either one to solve for t. If you use the upper formula, remember that you get the total flight time which you have to divide by 2 since we assume the projectile is symmetric.

Thank you, I used the second equation and the answer is 2.4 s.. is it right?

RuthlessTB said:
Thank you, I used the second equation and the answer is 2.4 s.. is it right?
Looks good.

If yes, how do I continue?

I would say that your approach is correct so far. You have used the correct equations for projectile motion and set up the problem correctly. However, to solve for the time, you will need to use a system of equations. You have two equations with two unknowns (h and t), so you can solve for both of them simultaneously.

To do this, you can use substitution or elimination. In this case, substitution might be easier. You can rearrange your second equation to solve for t:

t = (40 sin(37))/10

Then, you can substitute this value for t into your first equation:

h = (40 sin(37)) * ((40 sin(37))/10) - 5 ((40 sin(37))/10)^2

Simplifying this equation will give you the maximum height in terms of the initial velocity and angle. From there, you can solve for t by plugging the values into your equation for time (t = (40 sin(37))/10).

Hope this helps!

1. What is 2D motion?

2D motion refers to the movement of an object in two dimensions, typically represented by the x and y axes. This type of motion can occur in a horizontal or vertical direction, and is often seen in projectile motion.

2. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is a type of 2D motion in which an object is launched or thrown into the air and moves along a curved path. This motion is influenced by both the initial velocity and the force of gravity.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance covered during its motion. It can be calculated using the equation: R = (v0² * sin2θ) / g, where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as wind and elevation can also have an impact on the trajectory.

5. How does height affect the time of flight of a projectile?

The time of flight of a projectile is the total amount of time it spends in the air. The initial height of the object does not affect the time of flight, as long as the launch angle and initial velocity remain the same. However, the time of flight will be longer if the object is launched from a higher height, as it will have a longer distance to cover before hitting the ground.