Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How feasible is this Halloween idea?

1. Oct 8, 2012 #1
    Halloween is fast approaching, and I'm stuck here without any good costume ideas.

Someone suggested that I be a Jedi, but a Sith is more appealing. And even then, I'd want to go all out.

Would it be possible to make a glove with special pads in the fingertips and get electricity to arc between them? Excluding the thumb, the distance for a jump shouldn't exceed three inches.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2012 #2
    Like this?

http://www.deviantart.com/download/196445107/lightning_gloves_by_furious_midget-d38yi0j.jpg [Broken]

Hold on till one of the more experienced posters in this field turns up, but I'd imagine that would take a good deal of energy.

Apologies for the huge pic, i didn't expect that!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Oct 8, 2012 #3
    I'm not sure how much energy it would take, but I'm sure it wouldn't be safe at a party

5. Oct 8, 2012 #4
    Yeah, similar to that. It wouldn't have to be on for very long. 1 - 1.5 second bursts should be enough.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Oct 8, 2012 #5
    I wouldn't have it on all the time, just for demos.

7. Oct 8, 2012 #6
    Wear thick nylon socks and run around with your shoes off lol

I think you may have to scale it back a little bit. How about an LED light show?

8. Oct 8, 2012 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

That's a bit too dangerous for discussion at the PF. Sorry, thread is closed.

EDIT -- I like cake's LED alternative much better! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook