My university has about 5,000 students, as of yet still no physics major, and offered no research space or start up money. When they hired me, they got over 200 qualified applicants for the position.
It's not easy to get a job at any university. My grad school wasn't an R1, but got over 600 applicants for an astrophysics job 10 years ago. It's easier actually got get a higher-paying job in industry, but then you almost certainly won't be doing astrophysics - there's really not any money there. Same for most government labs; they want people who do more experimental physics, they rarely hire in astrophysics. NASA does, but most scientists working for them need to earn their salary in grant money every year, they don't have a fixed salary.
I know very few astrophysicists making over 100k. I just got tenure, and I won't get to the 100k level for another 10 years or so, and I'm making more than most of my friends in academia and elsewhere.
Physics, especially astrophysics, is unlikely to make you rich or famous or win you big awards. It's a ton of work, a lot school, and any science field takes a lot of slogging through idea after idea and experiment after experiment to even reach a publishable result, much less one very many people will care about. It's great that you're so excited about physics, but you seem to have unreasonable expectations about science in general.