1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a future in Astrophysics

1. Sep 5, 2014 #1
    I am currently attending Community College, but in the future I would like to transfer to a University and get a degree in Astrophysics. The University of Alabama - Huntsville (UAH) is the closest University where I live, and I was wondering if the PhD Physics program good, and also UAH offers a PhD in Space Science what is the difference between that and Astrophysics? Finally I would love to be a researcher working in a lab, but would I be able to land a job like that after graduating from UAH or is that kind of career more based on where you received your PhD?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

4. Sep 10, 2014 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Form the course catalog: http://www.uah.edu/science/departments/space-science/spa-grad-prog/ph-d-in-space-science [Broken] , it looks like Space Science is mostly Astrophysics. Space Science could also include Astrobiology, Cosmology, or other subject areas.

One could compare the UAH program with astrophysics programs from other universities.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Sep 12, 2014 #4
    It's not so much where you get your PhD so much as who your advisor is and how good your work is. I'm not saying getting into Princeton wouldn't help, but I've had many professors who have obtained their PhD's from surprising places; for instance, my classical mechanics professor is a cosmologist from a school that, according to US News (for what that's worth), is ranked ~70.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook