How hard is Mech Engineering and how much drafting is there?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of studying mechanical engineering and the competition for jobs in the field. The use of drafting and 3-D modeling software is also mentioned, as well as the relationship between robotics and mechanical engineering. The importance of gaining work experience through internships or co-ops is emphasized as a factor in job placement.
caljuice
Would you say Mech is one of the harder engineers?

Most of the prospecting Mech students I know are incredibly smart. I'm probably going to be an average student going into there. Is the competition for a job really tough in Mech for me then?

How much drafting is in it? How much is it by hand and by computers?
I'm doing it by hand right now and I'm struggling with 3d visualization and just dreading it also.
Hoping I might improve and change.

Also is robotics a branch of Mech engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not studying mechanical engineering, but I take a lot of mechanical classes for my major. (Nuclear Engineering major) It's not a matter of how HARD the degree is, it's a matter of do you ENJOY it. Mechanical might be hard for one person, but easier for another who thinks another major is harder. So it's really a matter of opinion.

Most drafting or modeling is done in 3-D modeling software such as Solidworks, Autodesk (CAD and Inventor), or ProE. Do not expect to do a lot of hand draws except for just quick sketches.

Robotics is partially a branch of mechanical engineering, but it's mostly covered under mechatronics or electric engineering. Mechanical engineering is a very diverse field and you can get into a lot of different fields with it. THAT SAID...

How smart you are does not correlate with job placement. It depends on the EXPERIENCE and WORK you have done during your degree. I am not suggesting, I am DEMANDING you do at least one internship or Co-op for a private company under your degree. You are more likely to get a job at the end with job experience than you will with how good your GPA is.

1. How difficult is it to major in Mechanical Engineering?

Majoring in Mechanical Engineering can be challenging, as it involves a combination of theoretical concepts and practical applications. It requires strong problem-solving skills, mathematical proficiency, and a solid understanding of physics and materials science. However, with dedication and hard work, it is definitely achievable.

2. What areas of study are involved in Mechanical Engineering?

Mechanical Engineering covers a wide range of subjects, including mechanics, thermodynamics, materials science, fluid mechanics, and control systems. It also involves courses in computer-aided design (CAD), manufacturing processes, and engineering ethics.

3. Is drafting a significant part of Mechanical Engineering?

Drafting, or technical drawing, is an essential skill for Mechanical Engineers. It is used to communicate design ideas, create detailed plans and specifications, and document the various components and systems of a project. While CAD software has replaced traditional paper drafting in many cases, the ability to create accurate and detailed technical drawings is still crucial for success in this field.

4. How much hands-on experience is involved in Mechanical Engineering?

Mechanical Engineering is a practical and hands-on field, with a strong emphasis on applying theoretical knowledge to real-world problems. Many programs include laboratory courses and design projects where students can work with tools and equipment to build and test prototypes. Co-op or internship opportunities are also available for students to gain valuable industry experience.

5. What careers are available for those with a degree in Mechanical Engineering?

A degree in Mechanical Engineering opens up a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as automotive, aerospace, energy, manufacturing, robotics, and more. Graduates can work as design engineers, project managers, research and development engineers, or consultants. They can also pursue advanced degrees and become professors or researchers in academia.