How hard is the maths for Mechanical Principles and Thermo in ME studies?

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of learning the mechanical principles and thermo units, as well as the math component, in an online HNC mechanical engineering program. The person is unsure if they will be able to learn the material on their own, as they have only done HNC engineering math in class with a tutor and cannot find previous past material for the units. They mention being able to do further math but express concern about the mechanical units.
lee123456789
i going to do the online HNC mechanical engineering. its has 2 units mechanical principles and thermo. i was wonder how hard is it to learn those units and the maths online or with online tutor. i can do the maths if its inperson in class but learn on line I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
lee123456789 said:
i going to do the online HNC mechanical engineering. its has 2 units mechanical principles and thermo. i was wonder how hard is it to learn those units and the maths online or with online tutor. i can do the maths if its inperson in class but learn on line I am not sure.
It depends on you, of course, but generally it's hard to learn maths on your own. Have you tried?

PeroK said:
It depends on you, of course, but generally it's hard to learn maths on your own. Have you tried?
Only HNC engineering math in class with tutor. I can't find any previous past material for those units so see if i can cope. I can do the futhur math unit because it just builds upon the engineering maths unit, but those mechanical units dont.

This question is essentially an imponderable. The math required for any particular course is not hard if you already know it, but it may be insurmountably difficult if you've never seen it before. No one but you can even guess at the answer in your case.

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. How difficult is the math required for Mechanical Principles and Thermo in ME studies?

The level of difficulty for the math in Mechanical Principles and Thermo can vary depending on the individual's math background and aptitude. However, it is generally considered to be at an intermediate level, requiring a solid understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus.

2. What specific math topics are needed for Mechanical Principles and Thermo in ME studies?

The math topics that are most commonly used in Mechanical Principles and Thermo include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and vector calculus. It is also important to have a good understanding of basic physics principles.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to succeed in Mechanical Principles and Thermo?

While having a strong math background can certainly be helpful, it is not necessarily a requirement for success in Mechanical Principles and Thermo. With dedication and hard work, individuals with a basic understanding of math can still do well in this subject.

4. Are there any resources available to help with the math in Mechanical Principles and Thermo?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with the math in Mechanical Principles and Thermo. These include textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. It is also beneficial to seek help from your professors or teaching assistants if you are struggling with any specific concepts.

5. How can I prepare for the math in Mechanical Principles and Thermo before starting my studies?

To prepare for the math in Mechanical Principles and Thermo, it is recommended to review and strengthen your understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. You can also try practicing with sample problems or taking a pre-calculus course before starting your ME studies. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the basic principles of physics can also be helpful.