How high is the bridge above the water?

In summary: I can have them handy next time I need to convert something.In summary, the car will go from rest to 120 km/h in 2.4 seconds.
kgbwolf
No 16 page 96: How long does it take for a car accelerating at 3.5 m/s^2 to go from rest to 120 km/h . Hint: first, change the velocity from km/h to m/s.

No. 17 pag. 105: A rock is dropped from a bridge to the water below. It takes 2.4s to hit the water. find:

a) the speed in m/s of the rock when it hits the water ( assume g,the acceleration and v , positive going down)

b) how high is the bridge above the water??

How would i solve this?Thanks in advanced

Physics news on Phys.org
For the second question (2b, more specifically), you can use the average speed. Now ask yourself, what do you need to calculate the average speed?

I hope you do understand 2a.

For the first question. You have the amount of speed increasement per second (definition of acceleration, roughly), and you have the final speed.

If you need any more hints (it wasn't quite clear what you did and did not understand), reply.

well for the second equation i don't know wht equation to use i have only time and acceleration of gravity which is 9.8

i just need the equation

i aleady solved the first one and got T=9.6s

to calculate aveg speed i need vf-vi/t

but i don't have vf or vi

ahm, average spped would be (vf-vi)/2. 2a is quite easy, you have the amount of speed added per second, you know the number of seconds, so...
2b, you've got the average speed, you have the time. I remember some equation (;)) to calculate distance from speed and time. Try to think for a while and work it out.
Oh, and please use the edit button.

V = at
s = (at^2)/2 for uniformly accelerated motion where
v = elocity at time t, a = constant acceleration and s = displacement in time t

so if the rock is dropped Vi=0 vf=9.8*2.4=23.52m/s?? what about 2b

You got that right. As i said, you can use the average speed for 2b. Then you have got a time and a velocity. Now, work that out on your own. If you are doing acceleration now, I am sure you have worked with constant velocity before.

no i haven't before this chapter was vectors and first chapter was conversions just give me the equation

Last edited:
In that case your book is crap, but i guess that is not the issue here. Still, I will not give you the equation. I will give you hints.

velocity is defined as m/s, or distance/time. Now get some math working on that one (5=10/2 might help you).

I need to print out a table with all the conversion factors

1. What is the average height of a bridge above the water?

The average height of a bridge above the water varies greatly depending on the type of bridge and its location. For example, a pedestrian bridge may only be a few feet above the water, while a large suspension bridge could be hundreds of feet above the water.

2. How do engineers determine the height of a bridge above the water?

Engineers use various methods to determine the height of a bridge above the water, such as surveys, elevation measurements, and computer modeling. They also take into account factors like the water level, clearance for boats, and potential flooding.

3. Can the height of a bridge above the water change over time?

Yes, the height of a bridge above the water can change over time due to factors such as erosion, movement of the earth's crust, and changes in water levels. Engineers regularly monitor and maintain bridges to ensure their safety and stability.

4. What is the highest bridge above the water in the world?

The highest bridge above the water in the world is the Sidu River Bridge in China, which stands at a height of 1,627 feet (496 meters). It is a suspension bridge that spans over a deep river canyon.

5. Why is it important to know the height of a bridge above the water?

Knowing the height of a bridge above the water is crucial for ensuring the safety and functionality of the bridge. It also helps with navigation for boats and other water vessels. Additionally, understanding the height of a bridge can provide valuable information for future construction and engineering projects in the area.