How high will UT bounce on a bungee jump from the Golden Gate Bridge?

In summary, the rubber rope will pull up UT with the same energy, getting her to the same height she started in.
Superman123
1. Ut will bungee jump from the golden gate bridge. The height that she will jump from is 65 meters. The rope pulls her up 8 meters above the water. If UT's weight is 63 kg, how far will the rubber rope pull her upwards, if there's no loss to friction or air resistance?

Homework Equations

PE= mgh
v=√2gh
v^2-u^2=2as

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I started by calculating the energy of the fall.
PE= 63*(65-8)*9.8= 35191 J

I then tried to calculate the velocity that she reaches when she is about to fall.
v=√2gh= 33.45 m/s

I then used v^2-u^2=2as, u^2 at the top is 0 and a= g=9.8 and s=h
v^2-u^2=2as
33.45^2-0= 2*9.82* s
s= 55.4 meters

That seems oddly wrong that she could reach such a height, is this the right way to do it or is there a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if literally no energy is lost?

Well, the energy produced will be enough to bounce her back where she started, if nothing of it is lost; though I don't know how to present it with formulas to show that my reasoning is enough

Superman123 said:
Well, the energy produced will be enough to bounce her back where she started, if nothing of it is lost; though I don't know how to present it with formulas to show that my reasoning is enough

I would say you don't need any formulas, but you perhaps need to describe the scenario in physics terms. After all, if you push a vehicle along a flat, frictionless track, it doesn't come back to where it started.

Likes Superman123
Is saying " The energy of the fall will be preserved in the rope and because there's no energy loss, the rope will pull up UT with the same energy, getting here to the same she started in." correct, considering physics terms?

Superman123 said:
Is saying " The energy of the fall will be preserved in the rope and because there's no energy loss, the rope will pull up UT with the same energy, getting here to the same she started in." correct, considering physics terms?

Perhaps better is that the initial gravitational PE is converted to elastic PE in the rope, then back to gravitational PE again ...

Likes Superman123
Oh, thanks for your time and help!

1. How does the length of the bungee cord affect the bounce of a bungee jump?

The length of the bungee cord is a major factor in determining the bounce of a bungee jump. A longer cord will result in a greater distance between the jumper and the ground, resulting in a longer and more intense bounce. On the other hand, a shorter cord will result in a shorter and less intense bounce.

2. What is the role of elasticity in the bounce of a bungee jump?

Elasticity is the key factor in the bounce of a bungee jump. The bungee cord must be elastic enough to stretch and absorb the energy of the falling jumper, but also strong enough to pull the jumper back up. If the cord is too stretchy, the jumper may not experience a satisfying bounce. If the cord is not stretchy enough, the jumper could be injured by the sudden stop at the end of the jump.

3. How does the weight of the jumper affect the bounce of a bungee jump?

The weight of the jumper also plays a role in the bounce of a bungee jump. Heavier jumpers will experience a greater force of gravity pulling them down, resulting in a more intense bounce. Lighter jumpers may not experience as much of a bounce due to their lower weight. Additionally, the weight of the jumper must be taken into account when determining the appropriate length and strength of the bungee cord.

4. What is the impact of air resistance on the bounce of a bungee jump?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the bounce of a bungee jump. As the jumper falls, they will encounter air resistance which will slow them down. This can affect the length and intensity of the bounce. Factors such as the shape and size of the jumper, as well as the speed and direction of the wind, can also impact the amount of air resistance experienced.

5. How does the location of the bungee jump affect the bounce?

The location of the bungee jump can have an impact on the bounce. Different locations may have varying heights, terrain, and wind patterns that can affect the jump. Additionally, the type of platform used for the jump (e.g. bridge, crane, tower) can also impact the bounce due to differences in the surrounding environment and the way the bungee cord is attached.