How high will a helium balloon rise?

In summary, the question asks how high a helium balloon will rise when attached to a long thin rope with a mass density of 1g/m. The coils of the rope lay flat on the ground, allowing the balloon to rise without resistance. Given the mass and volume of the balloon, along with the density of air, the solution involves calculating the buoyant force and taking into account the weight of the balloon and rope. The height can then be determined when the net force on the balloon is zero.
vetgirl1990

Homework Statement

A helium balloon of mass 0.2kg and volume 1m3 is attached to a long thin rope of mass density 1g/m. The coils of rope lay flat on the ground, so that as the balloon moves up the rope unwinds without resistance. How high will the balloon rise?
Air density = 1.204kg/m3
a) 1204m
b) 1004m
c) 602m
d) 502m
e) none of the above

Homework Equations

P = pgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the balloon will stop rising when the pressure inside the balloon equals the pressure of the air on the outside.

Pressure of balloon:
P(balloon) = F/A
V = 4/3πr3 --> r = 0.6204m
SA = 4πr2 --> A = 4.835m2
P(balloon) = F/A = 0.4053N/m2

P(balloon)=P(air)
P(balloon)=ρairgh
0.4053 = (1204)(9.8)h
h=0.0000343m

This answer is clearly wrong... Not sure where I'm going wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi vetgirl:

I think your assumption is wrong, but I may be mistaken. I offer an alternative to consider.

The balloon will rise until the upward force of the air pressure on the bottom half of the balloon minus the downward force of the air pressure on the top half of the balloon equals the weight of the balloon plus the weight of the attached rope that is not still coiled on the ground, that is the height of the balloon times the rope's weight per meter.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

vetgirl1990 said:
I think the balloon will stop rising when the pressure inside the balloon equals the pressure of the air on the outside.

The balloon will stop rising when the net force is zero. What forces affect the balloon?

There is one solution, which doesn't take into account the decreasing density/pressure of air with increasing height - does the statement say something about this simplification?

vetgirl1990 said:

Homework Statement

A helium balloon of mass 0.2kg and volume 1m3 is attached to a long thin rope of mass density 1g/m. The coils of rope lay flat on the ground, so that as the balloon moves up the rope unwinds without resistance. How high will the balloon rise?
Air density = 1.204kg/m3
a) 1204m
b) 1004m
c) 602m
d) 502m
e) none of the above

Homework Equations

P = pgh

The Attempt at a Solution

Pressure of balloon:
P(balloon) = F/A
V = 4/3πr3 --> r = 0.6204m
SA = 4πr2 --> A = 4.835m2
P(balloon) = F/A = 0.4053N/m2

P(balloon)=P(air)
P(balloon)=ρairgh
0.4053 = (1204)(9.8)h
h=0.0000343m

This answer is clearly wrong... Not sure where I'm going wrong.
Why do you think the pressure inside the balloon is different from the pressure outside when the balloon is released?

If the pressure inside is greater, the balloon keeps expanding, like when you inflate it. If the pressure inside is less, the balloon gets smaller, like when the helium runs out of it.

This is a simple problem in buoyancy, with an added twist.

stockzahn said:
The balloon will stop rising when the net force is zero. What forces affect the balloon?

There is one solution, which doesn't take into account the decreasing density/pressure of air with increasing height - does the statement say something about this simplification?

No it doesn't, which is what threw me off as well. I know air density decreases with altitude, so I suppose that simplification is assumed.

But I suppose it's a simple buoyancy problem then? The forces affecting the balloon are the gravitational force, and buoyancy force.
Fb = -Fg
ρairhAg = -mballoong
And then I think the Area that I use above, is the surface area of the balloon --> SA = 4πr2 --> A = 4.835m2
Then I would solve for height (h).

Does that make more sense?

vetgirl1990 said:
But I suppose it's a simple buoyancy problem then? The forces affecting the balloon are the gravitational force, and buoyancy force.
Fb = -Fg

OK, then let's solve it like that.

vetgirl1990 said:
ρairhAg = -mballoong
And then I think the Area that I use above, is the surface area of the balloon --> SA = 4πr2 --> A = 4.835m2

The factor h⋅A in your equation ist the volume of the balloon - you can't calculate the height of the rising balloon from it. The buoyancy force Fb, as you've already stated correctly, is

Fbair⋅Vballoon⋅g

We've decided to neglect the decrease in pressure with increasing height, therefore the volume of the balloon stays constant. Till now you forgot to take the weight of the thin rope into account. So what forces are pointing downards (against the buoyancy) and which one is dependent on the height of the balloon?

vetgirl1990 said:
No it doesn't, which is what threw me off as well. I know air density decreases with altitude, so I suppose that simplification is assumed.

Fb = -Fg
ρairhAg = -mballoong

This is incorrect. Have you learned about Archimedes principle? That gives you the upward pressure force of the air on the balloon, and it depends on displaced volume, not area. Also, you omitted the weight of the rope in the force balance equation.

Chet

vetgirl1990 said:

Fb = -Fg
ρairhAg = -mballoong

No, it doesn't. The buoyant force on the balloon doesn't depend on the surface area of the balloon, but by the volume of air which is displaced by the less dense helium. That's why you're given the density of air and not the atmospheric pressure in the problem statement.

SteamKing said:
No, it doesn't. The buoyant force on the balloon doesn't depend on the surface area of the balloon, but by the volume of air which is displaced by the less dense helium. That's why you're given the density of air and not the atmospheric pressure in the problem statement.
Hi SteamKing:

Good point! I had made the mistake of thinking that if the buoyancy force did not change with altitude, then then nothing would stop the balloon from rising. But the increase in the length of hanging rope stops the rising. The problem statement is intended to to make a not-quite-realistic simplifying assumption of a non-varying buoyancy force.

Regards,
Buzz

SteamKing: What do you think of this wording in Buzz Bloom's first post regarding the buoyant force of the air on the balloon?: "upward force of the air pressure on the bottom half of the balloon minus the downward force of the air pressure on the top half of the balloon."

In my judgement, it's technically correct if the directionality of the pressure force on the balloon surface is taken into account, but apparently, the OP interpreted it differently. Also, of course, the buoyant force is obtained much more easily than this.

Thoughts??

Chet

Chestermiller said:
SteamKing: What do you think of this wording in Buzz Bloom's first post regarding the buoyant force of the air on the balloon?: "upward force of the air pressure on the bottom half of the balloon minus the downward force of the air pressure on the top half of the balloon."

In my judgement, it's technically correct if the directionality of the pressure force on the balloon surface is taken into account, but apparently, the OP interpreted it differently. Also, of course, the buoyant force is obtained much more easily than this.

Thoughts??

Chet
The buoyant force on any object can be obtained by integrating the pressure over the wetted surface (which is quite tedious) or by simply using the submerged volume to calculate the weight of displaced fluid (easy when objects are fully submerged; a little trickier when objects are only partially submerged). Hopefully, your calculations using each method will agree.

I don't want to quibble with Buzz on this point because it's irrelevant to solving this particular problem.

1. How high can a helium balloon rise?

The maximum height a helium balloon can reach depends on several factors, such as the size of the balloon, the amount of helium it contains, and atmospheric conditions. Typically, a helium balloon can rise up to an altitude of 30-40 kilometers (18-25 miles) before bursting due to the decreased air pressure and expanding gas inside.

2. Can a helium balloon reach space?

No, a helium balloon cannot reach space. While 30-40 kilometers may seem like a high altitude, it is still well within Earth's atmosphere. Space is typically defined as starting at an altitude of 100 kilometers (62 miles) above Earth's surface.

3. How long does it take for a helium balloon to reach its maximum height?

The time it takes for a helium balloon to reach its maximum height depends on the size and amount of helium in the balloon, as well as atmospheric conditions such as wind speed. On average, it can take anywhere from 2-3 hours for a helium balloon to reach its maximum height.

4. Can a helium balloon reach higher altitudes on a hot day?

Yes, a helium balloon can reach higher altitudes on a hot day due to the decreased air density. In hotter temperatures, air molecules are more spread out, allowing the balloon to rise higher before reaching the same air pressure that causes it to burst.

5. What happens to a helium balloon when it reaches its maximum height?

Once a helium balloon reaches its maximum height and bursts, it will begin to fall back to Earth. However, due to the decreased air pressure at higher altitudes, the balloon may take longer to fall and may travel a greater distance before landing.