How High Will a Projectile Rise if Launched at 10.1 km/s?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
bearhug
Messages
78
Reaction score
0
At the Earth's surface a projectile is launched straight up at a speed of 10.1 km/s. To what height will it rise?
Universal gravitational constant = 6.673e-11 N m^2/kg^2
Radius of the Earth = 6.370e+6 m
Mass of the Earth = 5.980e+24 kg

I know to use the equation U= - (Gm1m2)/ r
I also need to take into consideration that r is the radius of the Earth and the object is launched at the surface of the earth. However how am I suppose to solve for height when their is no mass of the projectile and what do I do with the speed of the projectile. I originally thought I should consider that U=mgy but that got me nowhere. Any help will be appreciated I'm literally teaching this to myself.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
what do you use potential energy for in physics? what are the units of P.E. what other formual has the same units?